NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Glasgow

fancybadger

Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd introduce myself to all - I'm Chris, 22 from Glasgow.

Hoping to buy my first scope by the end of the year (got my mind set on a NexStar 130SLT or 102SLT but I'm open to suggestions!). Always wanted to get a scope but never had a suitable space - as it turns out my block of flats has a very nice roof!

I will be asking all the usual questions such as 'What exactly is Plossl?'. I'm sure i'll get the hang of it eventually..

Anyway,

cheers!

:smiley:

Hi Chris,

Good to hear of someone else from Glasgow on SGL - there are 3 or 4 of us so far.

There are several active Astro Soc's in the Glasgow area.

Astro Soc of Glasgow meets regularly and has 'scopes for use by members (10" Dob, 6" Newt, PST etc). CSOG (GizMo on SGL) also meet to observe / image whenever weather permits.

A few of us meet up regularly.

Give me a PM if you want more info re local Societies, like minded nutters + observing sites around Glasgow.

Tom

Hi Chris i am a newbie my self, i live near the borders.

Do not know about you but the weather here at the moment is terrible, cloud cloud and more cloud.

If you can get used kit fair enough but if you want a great guy contact Stevie at http://www.firstlightoptics.com/ he is not very good at understanding scotch accents, highly recommended, tell him you are a member on here and he will give you 10% discount.

Davey

:moon:

Cheers for all the hellos! The weather up here is usually the same as down in the borders - I'm originally from down near Dumfries.

Getting a bit chilly now though - possibly clear up tomorrow?

As for my roof, there are no trees but I've got the upcoming city center Christmas illuminations to contend with! I'll def be in touch about the local groups Tom, I've already been checking out the various sites.

Chris :D

Hello and a warm welcome to SGL Chris! You'll get plenty of help and advice from everyone here Chris. Going along to your local astronomical society is very good advice from "Tom!" You will get the chance to take a physical (hands on) look at several telescopes before you commit yourself to a particular scope. (unless you are sure right now of what you want!).

Best wishes - and be careful on that roof in the dark!

Regards,

philsail1

Archived