NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ebay again....

Moonshane

I may be wrong but this seemed a bargain for a famed Carton scope but when you look at the pics and read the text it seems not quite what's portrayed? The pic has the brand named edited out of the pic. Wonder why?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Collectible-CARTON-Astronomical-Telescope-/390548488579?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item5aee810183

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the brand name looks edited out? I'm not sure I can tell from the image, but perhaps the ink just degraded?

I'm always a little wary of "selling for a friend" auctions though. It's too easy to attempt to pass something off as something it isn't and then claim you didn't have any idea if the deceit is discovered.

James

Was watching this just out of interest to see how much it went for. The original description was for a CARLTON scope... Somebody must have pointed out the error so the seller probably doesn't know what they are talking about

Stu

Its getting a bit silly now, some of the prices

people are asking for s/hand scopes.

The bay, seems to be the worst.

Steve.

couldn't agree more shocking , it also has a lot to do with ebays fee's on buy nows and reserves, people are scared to let them run on auction, the above link if it's bought now at £600 with ebay fees and paypal he wont see much more than £500..

couldn't agree more shocking , it also has a lot to do with ebays fee's on buy nows and reserves, people are scared to let them run on auction, the above link if it's bought now at £600 with ebay fees and paypal he wont see much more than £500..

Ouch! That is a lot :(

James

the buy now is £60 alone it's 10% of the final fee, add to that if he had a reserve which it doesn't look like actually , but paypal for receiving the money is got to be taken out as well..oh and your original listing fee's a couple of quid for a few pics. lol

Somehow I can't imagine that a 250P on an EQ5 "shows great views" of anything. I'm not even sure it's possible to buy them together as a package and if purchased separately I'm sure they shouldn't come to more than a few quid over the starting price. I'd say he shouldn't have paid more than £570 for the lot (including the eyepiece) new. If he halved the BIN price I'd still think it might be a bit on the high side.

James

Hi folks,

I have noticed that one review of the vintage / collectible Carton 60 described it "a little more than a

toy". Not that collectible..... Always dubious of selling for a friend.

Secondly, the great reflector 8" with a non-goto EQ5 is selling brand new for £479 without motors. see

Barrandstroud.com. For Optical Vision products. Motors plus handset for an upgrade on EQ5 is £100.

I feel the description uses poetic licence in stating that the scope is large, it really is medium, 12" and above are large.

I cannot see why anybody should pay more than the new price!

Cheers

Adrian

the buy now is £60 alone it's 10% of the final fee, add to that if he had a reserve which it doesn't look like actually , but paypal for receiving the money is got to be taken out as well..oh and your original listing fee's a couple of quid for a few pics. lol

If you take into consideration listing fees, final selling fees and paypay fees i think you end up paying around 17% - 18% of the final selling price in fees.

If you take into consideration listing fees, final selling fees and paypay fees i think you end up paying around 17% - 18% of the final selling price in fees.

it's usually about 10p to list an item (well it is for books - not used it for astro gear) , 8% fee from ebay and 4% from paypal. plus of course postage which is often more than ebay allow you to add to the advert.

That's a 10 inch p ds. So if has a 10:1 micro focuser and a good sticker. Under Mounted sure but the scope is not the 200p bring discussed here neither.

The 200P is linked in a previous post.

James

it's usually about 10p to list an item (well it is for books - not used it for astro gear) , 8% fee from ebay and 4% from paypal. plus of course postage which is often more than ebay allow you to add to the advert.

yes it is cheap to list an 'auction' ,thats what i'm saying is people are too scared to list a 99p starting bid, so have to pay buy now fee's at 10% and some have an auction running along side with a reserve as well which is extra , then paypal (ebay) fee's on top, thats why most people are putting overpriced stuff up..

Archived