New punter down south

benvz

Hi, my name's Ben and I'm from the Hemel/St Albans area of Hertfordshire. I've been interested in astronomy for years, so finally - after a fair bit of research :huh: and looking around to find a scope which would satisfy me for a bit whilst being affordable - (many nights later) I took the plunge and picked up a nearly new 130p650 autotrak for 100 quid for my Christmas present to myself.

This was in the middle of December. I would therefore like to apologise :embarrassed: for the several weeks of cloud :clouds1: that was the weather gods accompanying present :sad: .

I finally managed to get some use out of it at Christmas, but had to travel most of the way up the country to do so (was at my parents house for the day itself), and was amazed at the 130x views of the moon and Jupiter, even at low power (x26) they're spectacular, but even more so by how starry seemingly dark patches of the sky were. I'll be writing a first light :shocked: report as well.

The only problem I can see with this hobby (apart from my imminent need to upgrade to decent EP's and the expense of doing so), is that the better half :police: is always unimpressed with me waking her up when I come back into bed in the early hours of the morning and is in no mood to listen to my new discoveries - I can't see why she's so grouchy, it's not like I put my cold hands and feet on her :evil: to make sure she's properly awake.

Hope to be making a few more posts and reporting on my observing sessions throughout the coming weeks and months.

Welcome to SGL. You sound quite northerly to me :)

James

Thanks for the welcome James. Good spot. I grew up in the North East, but then went to Oxford for uni and then down to where I am now for my PhD, so have been surrounded by southerners :tongue: for the last 8 or so years

Archived