A good 7mm Ep for SW Skyliner 200p dob

Hello all,

This is my first post and I know that this has been asked a MILLION times before, but products keep changing etc. I would like to purchase a good 7mm EP for the SW Skyliner 200p dob, can anyone recommend one. I have done a lot of research but would like, if possible, to hear what 7mm EPs users use. The Celestron X-Cel LX 7mm looks good, but is there a good alternative? I have seen a few on, The Sky's the limit website, these are cheaper but is the quality much poorer?

Thank you in advance.

An 8mm BST explorer from Sky's the Limit is fantastic value at £47 but obviously not 7mm. There's also the 7mm TMB clones on there which get decent reviews, not used one myself tho.

If you're not too fussed about FOV then look out for a 2nd hand Baader Genuine Ortho or a Circle T 7mm Ortho. Probably the best bang for buck eyepieces out there in terms of sharpness and contrast. Sadly, both are now discontinued.

If you're feeling flush, Explore Scientific do a 6.7mm 82 degree eyepiece which gets good press, but if you're feeling very flush a 7mm Nagler is available.

Its a very personal choice, but I'd recommned keeping an eye out on astrobuysell.com/uk for second had eyepieces.

The televue plossl's are around £50 second hand and are excellent, a mate of mine has the set. They dont offer the FOV of a nagler, but optically sharp and great colours

i use celestron xcel lx's which are excellent ep's and have a 7mm in the range. i have this ep and can recommend it. all of the lx's are sharp edge to edge and the view is very crisp. i tried the bst's but didn't get on with them, i had kidney beaning issues with them, but everyone is different. good luck with your choice.

assuming you only have the 25mm and 10mm that came with the scope, my recommendation would be a 15mm plossl plus a barlow. you can probably get the two used for about £30-40 total.

we have a 200mm dob at my school's space blub and it really does provide an excellent image of Jupiter at 7.5mm (i.e. the 15mm barlowed). this gives 160x which is usable on most nights once the scope is cooled.

I would try and get a look through a few different EPs at a local astro club before buying if possible. I can recommend the X-cel lx though and Vixen NPL do a good 25mm as a replacement on the stock 25mm. I changed the 25mm EP and it made a massive difference straight away :)

+1 for the 8mm BST Explorer/StarGuider, great ep at a great price, you only get kidney-beaning issues when you don't use the twist-up eyecups provided, which makes them very comfortable to use. You should always use the twist-up eyecups in my view. The Celestron X-Cel LX's also have twist-up eyecups and perform well in fast scopes.

I'd suggest looking for an eyepiece with a wider field of view so you can allow your target to drift across the view, rather than having to keep nudging to keep it in sight. I like the Baader Hyperion range of eyepieces in my 200P dob, but you've got plenty of options, depending on your budget.

Hello, thank you for all the advice, I think I'll opt for the 7mm TMB Planetary II eyepiece, it seems to get good reviews and quite a few people on here seem to rate it highly in terms of price to performance ratio.

I've got a HR7 planetary, I think its a TMB rebrand. Got it from teleskop service, a very good eyepiece, although I've never tried REALLY good ones such as Televue and stuff...

In hindsight, I should've ordered the 8mm from BST, purely for the colored rings on the outside (they make such a nice set when standing together, hehe)

Archived