Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 12mm or 13 mm

Mr Fiery Jack

If you like the nagler 12mm, I wouldn't have thought you'd use the radian much afterwards. Fov of the naglers wider and not much difference in mag. But then again I wouldn't have thought you'd use your 11 mm plossl either. As you can see from my sig I have a much larger gap so I would say yes it's a gap too far but maybe I'm missing something. :smiley:

The current 12mm Nagler has a longer eyerelief than the current 13mm, so if you are used to the long eyerelief of the Radian, that could be a factor for you.

Both the 12 & 13 Naglers will show more sky than the 14mm Radian, so could replace it.

Regards, Ed.

Both great eyepieces :smiley:

The T4 12mm Nagler will seem a little more immersive than the T6, mostly because of it's larger eye lens. Some say the T6 is a little sharper. I've owned a 13mm T6 and it was a lovely little eyepiece but I've seen glowing reports of the 12mm T4 too and it's likely to be a little easier to use re: eye placement.

I have owned the 13mm Nagler for a short while but then got a serious bite and well infected by the Ethos virus. I swapped my 13mm Nagler for the 12mm Nagler with a very nice Gentleman in the UK.

The point I make, I have the 13mm Ethos, I have had the 12mm for about 4 months and only used it once, in that time I have had at least 50-60 clear skys. I do not believe you will use the the 14mm Radian even if you buy the 12mm Nagler. I only keep it because I wanted it for the LX 12 inch and I haven't used that much of late.

I would go for the 11mm Nagler, cheaper too!

Alan.

OK chaps. Mostly what I was thinking. I have bought the 13mm Nagler, the Radian is up for sale and one very enterprising hard core dob owner contacted me directly and asked me to sell them the 11mm, which I have. I have a 20mm plossl which fills the gap between the 13mm Nagler and the 24mm Panoptic. I should have enough after selling The Radian and the 11mm and a 8mm with a few quid I have left over to buy another Nagler, but which one? 17mm?

I think you are about to experience the "ultra-wide domino effect" where the UW eyepieces tend to supplant more than one regular FoV eyepiece as they are added to your collection. The 13mm Nagler, for example, shows a bit more true field than the 20mm plossl does so you may find the 20mm does not get used and you skip straight from the 13mm Nagler to the 24mm Panoptic. If you got a 22mm Nagler then the 24mm Pan, and the 20mm and 32mm plossls could go and I reckon you might not miss them.

The naglers are very very nice indeed, the 5mm and 7mm I have are great planetary eps, I much prefer the 5mm nagler to my 5mm BGO, personally I prefer the views it gives me, plus the wider FoV is much better on a dob and they are easier to look through for prolonged periods of time, if I didn't already have the 2 ethos I'd be looking for a couple more naglers.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?NoBack=True&id=212&plain=TRUE&focal_length=1200&fl_unit=mm&aperture=250&a_unit=mm&fratio=&_2in=yes&Ethos=TRUE&Nagler=TRUE&Panoptic=TRUE&Delos=TRUE&Radian=TRUE&Pl%F6ssl=TRUE&sortby=SortTrueField&title=&SUBMIT1=CALCULATE#results might help you decide (I assume I have the focal length of 1200mm correct?).

my take on eyepieces generally is that I find that I like lots of magnifications (want good quality but not that bothered about tfov) for high power and hardly any for low power. my collection covers three scopes amply and unless I am greedy (unfortunately I am) I don't really need to buy another eyepiece ever - I have two fast scopes (f4) and one slow (f11)

my collection is as follows

32mm TV plossl - preferred full disc solar and lunar eyepiece

26mm Nagler - favourite eyepiece for wide field DSOs etc

15mm TVP - great general use moon eyepiece

13mm Ethos - superb wide field, mid power workhorse

12.5mm BGO - brilliant sharp detail

11mm TVP - courtesy of yourself - strangely this provides a real sweet spot with my slow scope and I miss the one I sold

10mm Radian

9mm BGO

8mm Radian

7mm BGO

6-3mm Nagler zoom - incredible on moon and my main double star eyepiece

Whilst the above is a little extravagant, I genuinely use all of these eyepieces regularly and often work up and down through them as the seeing changes, especially with Jupiter. the range of magnification is 50x-600x so I have everything covered.

between the two eyepieces you mention I'd personally choose the 12mm T4 I think but I have never used either for any length of time. I think as others have said, this might make your 20mm TVP and 14mm Radian redundant depending on your view. some people (myself included believe it or not) sometimes like to spend all night with one eyepiece in the focuser more or less all night.

good luck with your choices and I hope the above helps in some way rather than hinders.

Congrats on the 13mm Nagler, thats one mighty fine piece of glass you have incoming :-)

I replaced the one I had with an Ethos, but I do sometimes miss the small form factor of the t6. It packs one hell of a punch for such a small package, enjoy!

Archived