Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

open clusters revisited.

rory

a rare (very rare) clear sky gave me a chance to get the scope out. with no real plan as such, there were a few messiers i wanted to get sketched. although seen at least once before,some were with my old 90mm scope so a revisit was in order.

m44 the beehive cluster in cancer the crab. 3.1 mag. shame i dont posess a lower power than x50 at the moment as this is a large cluster and sketching it at this magnification really does not do justice . but a nice easy target to shake of the rust.

a short shift south and onto a favourite o/c of mine m67. 6.9 mag. sketched at x60.

with those two done i took a swing over to puppis for a look at the o/c's id seen back in feb last year with the old scope.

m46.is a magnitude 6.1 cluster with a planetary nebula within. the p/n (ngc2438) could be made out as a faint but actually fairly large patch at x 150 . its actually a foreground object around half the distance of the cluster . after viewing at higher power i dropped down to x50 to sketch.

a nudge 2 o clock from m46 brought me onto the brighter 4.4 mag open cluster m47. quite a nice cluster with the centre few stars resembling a shape of the number 5 on a dice. as i write i recall wanting to see if ngc2440 was achievable ,but totally forgot !

so the last target of the night was m48 . a mag 5.8 o/c. large bright cluster and at x 50 could see several dozen stars.

so okay , nothing new, apart from the planetary,but was enjoyable just to get out in the cold for a couple of hours.

i noticed the lion rising up andwas tempted to stay out and get some more objects viewed , but the cold and work in the morning stopped that.

clear skies all...

Nice work Rory.

I'm not a big open cluster fan to be honest but the PN 'in' M46 was a nice little suprise the other night. I only viewed it with the cluster at x76 but will have to return for a proper inspection soon.

Look forward to seeing your sketches. :)

Archived