Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

An LRGB image of the open cluster M67 that was previously posted in the Deep Sky imaging section. It represents just under 3.4 hours integration time and was taken with my SW Esprit 150 and SX Trius 814 camera.

The image was captured with relatively short (300s) sub exposures, mainly in an attempt to avoid camera non-linear effects from bright stars.  It was processed with four software packages:

CCDstack: calibration, registration, data rejection, stacking, DDP stretch.

PS: colour enhancement, colour linear stretch, mask generation, noise reduction

Pixinsight: gradient reduction (DBE) and Photometric colour calibration.

Neat Image: background noise reduction

To avoid excessive star bloat and to maximize star colour, I also decided to process the image using two different Digital Development Process stretches of the Lum, a high one, targeting any dim objects and a low one, targeting the bright stars. The result image was then blended together in PS with an appropriate mask. 

5ae48c7b36894_18.final.thumb.jpg.c742cf82f315387c62cbc86d9b358a7c.jpg

Alan

LIGHTS: L:9, R:13, G:9, B:10 x 300s, DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.

• Like 6

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alan4908
      An LRGB image of the open cluster M67.  
      I selected 300s sub exposures, down from my normal 600s, to avoid excessive star bloat. To maximize star colour, I also decided to process the image using two different DDP stretches of the Lum, a high one, targeting the dim objects and one low, targeting the bright stars. The result image was then blended together in PS with an appropriate mask. 
      The cluster is unusual in that it is incredible ancient (c3billion years), somehow, it has resisted the gravitational forces which tend to disperse most open clusters over several hundred million years. As a consequence, M67 has more yellow/red and less blue stars than younger open clusters. 
    • By alan4908
      I decided to try a LRGB image of the open cluster M67 since I quite like the "glowing" effect that the Lum channel provides on the stars, in addition, it also helps to capture any dim fuzzies that may be lurking in the background. 
      I selected 300s sub exposures, down from my normal 600s, to avoid excessive star bloat. To maximize star colour, I also decided to process the image using two different DDP stretches of the Lum, a high one, targeting the dim objects and one low, targeting the bright stars. The result image was then blended together in PS with an appropriate mask. 
      The cluster is unusual in that it is incredible ancient (c3billion years), somehow, it has resisted the gravitational forces which tend to disperse most open clusters over several hundred million years. As a consequence, M67 has more yellow/red and less blue stars than younger open clusters. 
      The image below represents just under 3.4 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150. 
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:9, R:13, G:9, B:10 x 300s, DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.
    • By geoflewis
      Here is the 2nd of two open clusters that I imaged on 7 March 2018. Same capture plan for both - QSI583wsg-5 through my 4" TSAPO100Q (L=6x600; RGB=3x600 each).

Cheers, Geof
    • By coatesg
      A quick RGB run on M67 - mostly as a test bed for a new guiding setup (OAG in fromt of the camera, rather than the in camera guide chip behind the filters). Guiding was fine, sky conditions were fairly average, and there was a reasonably full moon in the sky for some of the subs which didn't help!
      SBIG ST2000XM, WO FLT110 + FLAT4 on the Titan, taken on 15/20th March 2017.
      R:G:B = 90:75:65 in 5 min subs. 
      Cheers

• By rory
      these are not great sketches by any stretch, but i was shivering and my current eyepiece set up isnt ideal for these open clusters as x50 is my lowest power at the moment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.