Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Patience, the first 'tool' ?

Well, whilst waiting for the next (our first) meeting of the local Astronomy society, and not purchasing a scope until we have talked to those experienced, my wife and I thought it prudent to begin finding our way around the night sky. So last night, (Saturday) with binoculars, star charts and warm clothing, out we went into the back garden armed with a home made red light torch, plus many layers of clothing for my wife (she is always cold)...what had been a lovely clear sky 10 minutes earlier when I had gone out to check, clouded over the minute she put the binoculars to her eyes. The cloud remained for the rest of the evening. To add insult to injury, next door put their upstairs lights on at the same time, Pollution....what's that?

The moral obviously is, whilst trying to be patient before splashing out on a scope, one has to be patient with our weather too! I read somewhere else on SGL a question pertaining to the percentage of clear skies we could enjoy, has anyone ever published such data?

When I was a wedding photographer, I got used to it raining more often than not, or else the wind would be quite strong, and a lot of times, both! But nonetheless persevered and adapted. So shall apply the same principles to our future Astronomical ventures. Patience is not so much a virtue, but rather a necessity, making I am sure, those clear nights worth even more.

Lakewitch

Astronomy is one of those hobbies which requires extreme patience.

There's our awful weather. Even when it's clear you're likely to get poor seeing. There's learning how to use new equipment and learning your way around the sky isn't a five minute job.

At least you know what is up there isn't going to go away anytime soon and all you have to do is wait...

The few good days make it all worthwhile.

I struggled for ages in the city with my 'scope, only to be completely blown away by one evening in the suburbs with my 10x50s.

The best piece of advice I was given was: "don't expect a Call of Duty experience!"

So many attributes,

Patience

Dedication

Endless optimism - yes next weekend will be perfect.

Controlled frustration - the met have got it wrong again / too much light due to the moon or neighbours

Endurance - prevailing winds, showers and dew

Most of all, the ability to be able to respond and organise quickly and efficiently at failry short notice, when an opportunity presenting a window of clear sky is forcast .

I would echo one of the previous posts. Get out to a dark site & see the difference!

Patience is, as you say, a necessity. Don't be put off by a few minor setbacks - whether it's light pollution or clouds.

Once you point the new scope upwards on the first clear night, it will make it all worth it. :smiley:

(I used to be a 'Tog' in my previous life. Constant battle with the weather - glad it's behind me!)

I've had many, many nights of disappointment with this hobby and when I first started there were a few times when I even thought about giving it all up, my thinking in those early days (not too long ago) was 'what the hecks the point of having hundreds of pounds worth of kit sat around if i can never use it'??!!! And the near obsession with weather forecasts drove me mad :rolleyes: . But I've realised theres much more to this than the observing side ( although its the biggest part for me) for a start, there's this place (where we can all moan together :grin:) Astronomy is a hobby where you cant have 'enough' information, theres always something new to learn from people who've been doing this a lot longer than I have (I've had great advice from here & picked up some valuable tips that have made my observing easier, more ineresting plus it saved me money) I've started a diy project modding my EQ5 mount for guiding & hopefully AP & theres LOADS of research ahead of me where thats concerned :eek: .

But the main thing thats kept me at it are those rare nights when the skies are clear, the seeing great & the wind non existant, when you finally see that galaxy/planet/nebular you've read so much about & seen so many photos of, with your own eyes.

Early (5am) this last Saturday morning myself, my girlfriend & her 10yr old daughter got up with the sole purpose of observing Saturn for the first time http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/176124-saturn-first-time-at-5am/ the skies where clear & we had the most amazing view ever. Its near magical nights like that that make up for all the let downs & giving up is happily the last thing on my mind .

Steve

I think anyone that is an amateur astronomer in the UK has their patience tested much more often than their observing/imaging skills. Unfortunately it's just the nature of our weather.

The few clear nights do make it worthwhile but it is testing at times that's for sure. :)

Can I just add a thing about the "patience". I took up stargazing with equipment just 6 months ago and it has done absolute wonders for my patience. I used to want everything to happen instantly and since taking up this hobby I have become a much calmer, less stressed person. :-)

Patience waiting for clear spells, patience required for imaging, patience needed for those difficult star hops to find obscure smudges in the night sky, patience waiting for that Southerly constellation to re-appear.

I guess this hobby is not for those that want instant results! :grin:

.... and I haven't even got to the fact that Halley's comet won't be back until some time around the year 2062!!!

Yep, patience is the key, but it cuts both ways if you can stick with it.

I saw Halley's comet as a lad in 1986 through my Tasco refractor, and it was one of the things that has kept me going (last seen in 1910, next chance 2061, even if I make it that far doubt my eyesight would be up to the job!) Likewise the transit of Venus, I saw the one in 2004 which was amazing, next chance is 2117 and the next one entirely visible from the UK is 2247!

The fact that I have seen things that people haven't seen for a century and won't see for another century almost makes up for the amount of cloud and rain we get!

Can I just add a thing about the "patience". I took up stargazing with equipment just 6 months ago and it has done absolute wonders for my patience. I used to want everything to happen instantly and since taking up this hobby I have become a much calmer, less stressed person. :-)

Funnily enough i've experienced the same thing

Patience is one key, not spending a fortune is another.

If you can get to a dark site without the Moon, it' a whole different game. The first thing that you'll find is not the constellations, they'll be lost in the mass of stars.

Otherwise it's a well worth struggle, good things come to those who wait,

Nick.

Archived