Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder scope.

I use both. The red dot is easy to use and great for "eyeballing" so you know you have the right star. The finder for more accurate targeting and can sometimes be surprisingly hard to find the right star if you haven't got the red dot.

I find the Telrad lots easier to use than a finder scope. A red dot finder needs to be properly adjustable for brightness though, too bright a red dot and you'll never see the star you're looking for.

I have a Red Dot Finder on my Heritage 130p, I have Finderscopes on all my other 'scopes. I much prefer the RDF, it's at the front end of the OTA, you get a "real view" of the sky, and all's it takes is to rest your cheek on the scope and take a quick squiz at where you're aiming.

I will admit though that I am on the lookout for a Right Angled Corrected Image Finderscope as I'm hoping that will turn out to be the best of both worlds.

HTH

I prefer the optical finder myself (though I would consider both the rdf and optical at the same time), I find them easier to align with the main scope, and they are a refracter scope in themselves and can give some great views of open clusters where you need low power

I use a right-angle 9x50 finderscope on my GOTO telescope and this morning it was dewed up so I couldn't see anything through it. I really missed it as I used it to adjust the object in the main scope if it either isn't in the eyepiece view, or not central. And being a right-angle means that I don't have to contort myself into awkward positions in order to view it.

All have their place and it very much down to personal preference.

I like the Rigel Quikfinder. Similar idea to the Telrad but a fraction of the size and weight.

The lower cost red dot finders can have a darkened glass which makes anything less than Jupiter too dim to see.

Another red dot problem can be overbright leds. On an old SW red dot finder I had to put in my own dimming variable resistor otherwise it swamped even Jupiter.

On a newt, having a right angle finder means you can have the main and finder eyepieces conveniently close.

Sorry there is no 'one size fits everyone'.

On my Celestron 127 SLT I had a bit of a mare with the supplied rdf. Basically it was rubbish, so after asking the question I replaced it with a Baader Skysurfer III and that most definately does the job. On my new 9.25 I have never really been able to get t grips with the supplied telescopic finder (just my personal) choice, so today I have ordered a Baader Skysurfer V for the 9.25. I have read the reviews and it is a bit of a beast (like a finder on a rifle) but is one of the best. Report on how it performs will follow just as soon as I can get the scope outside.

Archived