Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Users thoughts on Atik 314L+?

Astroblagger

Just another thought on this, iv always kept all my Raw data from my DSLR from every nights imaging on a large hard drive, just incase. Iv taken photos of all the popular objects m31, m42 etc. Would i be able to use the colour data from these if for example i got cut off due to weather having only got L with a mono camera of say M42 for ex, im aware the field of view would be different, but surely this colud be sorted in photoshop. Or would it not look right?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely if you want to add extra subs into the data you already have, you need the original RAW data? Or am I missing something here?

As for RegiStar - yes, looks good and I'll give it a try. Seems rather expensive but OTOH I expect to be doing a lot of combining images and it would be useful to be able to combine images of different sizes such as older DSLR stuff with the new Atik images. ATM I do my best to produce ready aligned images but I have used Photoshop to move and rotate layers to align them. Don't know if Photoshop can change the actual size of pixels in an image.

As for RegiStar - yes, looks good and I'll give it a try. Seems rather expensive but OTOH I expect to be doing a lot of combining images and it would be useful to be able to combine images of different sizes such as older DSLR stuff with the new Atik images. ATM I do my best to produce ready aligned images but I have used Photoshop to move and rotate layers to align them. Don't know if Photoshop can change the actual size of pixels in an image.

It works very well indeed.. register, crop & pad.. fantastic. Olly brought it to my attention... well.. there you go.... say no more... (in the voice of Eric Idle)

Coming in a bit late on this, but I agree that the Sony 285 chip in the 314L (and my venerable 16HR) is superb, and also fully agree with Olly about the fallacy that mono/filter imaging isn't in any way slower than OSC, and with his views regarding the greater flexibility....I too shoot my red and green when the target is lower, and blue when it's high in order to get the best results against atmospheric absorption.

I keep all of my raw data.....external hard drives are dirt cheap these days, and if you want to add extra data, as Gina says, having all of your subs is very important. If you add a bunch of new subs to a previous master, then that will be seen as a single sub by the stacking software.

Cheers

Rob

Yes, but you only need the individual calibrated subs, not the raw uncalibrated lights - no point in repeating the bias/dark/flats calculation each time you add more subs. By keeping each individual calibrated but unstacked sub, you avoid the problem you allude to.

Yes, but you only need the individual calibrated subs, not the raw uncalibrated lights - no point in repeating the bias/dark/flats calculation each time you add more subs. By keeping each individual calibrated but unstacked sub, you avoid the problem you allude to.

Sorry, but I don't understand that. What are "individual calibrated subs"? OK DSS makes a calibration darks file from combined darks and same with flats but the result of stacking raw lights is one file of the stacked lights calibrated with the darks and flats - there are no "individual calibrated subs" produced. Or are you perhaps talking about some other software?

You can keep all of your individual subs that have been calibrated and saved using many programs Gina, not just the stacked masters.

I still keep my uncalibrated data though as I have little faith in my ability to get the best out of calibration, and always assume I might want to run it again....dumb, but there you go!!

I have been following this thread with great interest. I agree with both Gina & RobH. keeping the raw data is IMHO is the way to go. In the future you do not know what advanced processing software

will be offered & with your raw data you can at least use it to it's fullest & get the best images. ,If the raws have been manipulated with whatever software you're presently using you may

lose some important data.

cheers

Steve

Im assuming a EOS clip in 12nm Ha filter cant be used in anyway with a Atik 314L+?

Nope.. you'll either need to use a filter wheel ( you can get away with 1.25" filters) or fit an individual filter in a threaded nosepiece.

If you keep a stack from one shoot and then come back to it and make a second stack, I think you can 'stack the stacks' fairly happily. Didn't Dennis once do a test and confirm this? You wouldn't add a stack to a set of single subs as if it were single sub for the reasons Rob points out. However, if the stacks were individually too shallow for the Sigma reject to work then I'd expect a full restack to work much better. So a restack is ideal but a stack of stacks has worked quite well for me on several occasions. Being thick I haven't worked through the maths, let me stress!

You can use DSLR colour but only a few DSLR imagers get any decent star colour. Most get hardly any. I've no idea why but if I used a DSLR I'd want to find out.

Olly

Can I just say a big thanks to all the contributors in this thread. This thread, Gina's excellent PM's, "The Book" and many Q's at my local astro club have helped in my decision to go for the 314L+.

I'm only a year into AP, so threads like this of real life views is really useful.

I have been using an unmodded 1100D Canon L glass, with some success. I then started to think about modding it, to squeeze out a bit more data.

In the end though, I knew I'd want a CCD, so I have skipped the middle step of modding the DSLR and jumped to a CCD.

So I have just ordered the FLO package, 314L+ / EFW2 filter wheel and Baader anti reflective LRGB filters.

I also ordered the Baader Narrowband filter set at the same time, it's only money :eek: Don't tell the wife :grin:

I think I now have my AP setup for a good few years to come.

Imaging = William Optics ZS70, 314L+ and EFW2.

Guiding = William Optics ZS66, QHY5

Mount = NEQ6 Pro.

Thanks again, and get ready for some Q's when the Atik arrives.

Grahame.

Hi Grahame,

That's an excellent set-up for astro imaging, look forward to your first light.

One item most astro imagers fail to mention is the capturing and guiding software,

which in my opinion is as important as the hardware. What software will you be using?

cheers

Steve

Artemis Capture, that comes with Atik cameras, is extremely easy to operate with an excellent GUI (IMHO). If all you want to do is use capture software for focusing, framing and setting a capture sequence, then it does the job very well indeed. And for guiding, PHD is also very hard to knock...!

However, I was eventually dragged away from both (kicking and screaming) when I moved to EQMOD / CdC. I now use Maxim owing to it's capability to link to CdC and its plate solving... and I now also use it for guiding. However, Maxim's obviously expensive compared to a couple of freeware packages, especially if you're not bothered about ie CdC / EQMOD integration

Thanks for the info.

I am using PHD for guiding already, so will stick with that for the time being.

As for the imaging, Artemis to begin with, and maybe Maxim at a later stage.

Chaps at the local astro club use Maxim or Artemis, so I'll get to see them both in action.

Who knows, maybe get I'll get some clear skies this year to try it all together.

Grahame.

Hi Grahame,

That's an excellent set-up for astro imaging, look forward to your first light.

One item most astro imagers fail to mention is the capturing and guiding software,

which in my opinion is as important as the hardware. What software will you be using?

cheers

Steve

The setup I now have is bascially a close copy of what the guys at my astro club use, which is the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth.

Some use the 2 WOZ setup, some 1 WOZ and a C6.

Some use the QHY5 or Atik Titan for guiding.

Almost all now have a NEQ6 for the mount.

And most use the 314L+ for imaging.

They have been an invaluanle source of info, and obvioulsy getting to see the kit being used, and the resulting images has been such a help in my choices made.

That along with all the great threads on SGL, and the pesronal help of chaps through PM.

I can honestly say, that from various hobbies and insterests over the years, SGL is without doubt the most friendly and welcoming forum I have ever been on.

The setup I now have is bascially a close copy of what the guys at my astro club use, which is the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth.

Some use the 2 WOZ setup, some 1 WOZ and a C6.

Some use the QHY5 or Atik Titan for guiding.

Almost all now have a NEQ6 for the mount.

And most use the 314L+ for imaging.

They have been an invaluanle source of info, and obvioulsy getting to see the kit being used, and the resulting images has been such a help in my choices made.

That along with all the great threads on SGL, and the pesronal help of chaps through PM.

I can honestly say, that from various hobbies and insterests over the years, SGL is without doubt the most friendly and welcoming forum I have ever been on.

+1

I totally agree with the comments regarding SGL. We are a helpful bunch! :p

I have received more advice than given it, but as time goes on, that is changing! Enjoy your new gear. I am watching this thread with interest because maybe this will be the kind of camera I will be using.

Tony

Archived