NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apologies for the cloud tonight: I just bought my first telescope.

Crebles

Hi everyone. It's the small hours of Sunday Jan 27th and it's pretty much the cloudiest night over Norfolk for ten years; I understand that's probably my fault though, I've incurred The Curse of The Brand New Telescope! Sorry.

I'm seriously excited though. Bought my Sky-Watcher Skyline 8" Dobsonian this afternoon. My First Ever Telescope. Right now I'm like a seven year old on Christmas Eve. Or maybe like a seven year old on Christmas Eve that's skipped his Ritalin and is wearing rollerskates. My wife and kids have, perhaps unsurprisingly, left me to it and gone to bed and I've have had fun building the MDF Dobsonian base, which was reminiscent of making up Ikea furniture (although this time I read the instructions properly because this matters!). Don't worry I've not made a "Unboxing My Telescope Video" for posting on YouTube. One of those on there is plenty, really.

I've checked the various internet cloud cover websites, and they say maybe, just maybe, and if I'm good, there'll be a bit of clear sky tomorrow night. Eeeekk! Guess where I'll be!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I hold you fully responsible for the cloud!!! haha, seriously though, good choice I've the same scope but on the EQ5 mount, got mine the friday b4 last so the last load of cloud was my fault & Iv not had chance to use it yet. Its a great scope apparently & has a good following on here. If my old scope (Skywatcher 130m) is anything to go by then we'll both be in for a treat as its a good leap in apperture.

Get used to obsessing about the weather as that'll become your second 'hobby' :grin: The weather sites I and many others here use are http://www.sat24.com/en/gb?ir=true and http://www.7timer.com/index.php?product=astro&lon=-1.574&lat=54.018〈=en&ac=0&unit=metric&tzshift=0&site= Although for 7timer put in your postcode & click on the 'Astro' box.

Good luck & clear skies

Steve

Hi everyone. It's the small hours of Sunday Jan 27th and it's pretty much the cloudiest night over Norfolk for ten years; I understand that's probably my fault though, I've incurred The Curse of The Brand New Telescope! Sorry.

I'm seriously excited though. Bought my Sky-Watcher Skyline 8" Dobsonian this afternoon. My First Ever Telescope. Right now I'm like a seven year old on Christmas Eve. Or maybe like a seven year old on Christmas Eve that's skipped his Ritalin and is wearing rollerskates. My wife and kids have, perhaps unsurprisingly, left me to it and gone to bed and I've have had fun building the MDF Dobsonian base, which was reminiscent of making up Ikea furniture (although this time I read the instructions properly because this matters!). Don't worry I've not made a "Unboxing My Telescope Video" for posting on YouTube. One of those on there is plenty, really.

I've checked the various internet cloud cover websites, and they say maybe, just maybe, and if I'm good, there'll be a bit of clear sky tomorrow night. Eeeekk! Guess where I'll be!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Oh Sorry, where are my manners :laugh: and welcome to SGL.

Hi and Welcome to SGL.

I too have just acquired a new scope yesterday. SWE200p on the Eq5 mount. And your description of excitement sounds pretty familiar! :laugh: .

I did manage to catch about 1 min of first light before the clouds rolled in yesterday, such a tease.

Here's hoping for Clear Skies soon!! Good luck with the scope!!

Welcome Crebles,

Don't worry it's not just new scopes that call the clouds, I've had scopes for many years and the clouds have accompanied them all in increasing frequency.

Nevertheless one decent clear night and you forget the clouds for a bit.

Enjoy the forum and ask as many questions as you need :icon_salut:

Hi Crebles welcome to SGL, pretty soon you`ll no more about cloud formations than you do about star constellations :grin:

enjoy your new telescope and with some luck you`ll get to see the full moon later.

Archived