Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lowest acceptable temperature for observing

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was out last night for an hour in minus 6C. the scope and equipment was absolutely fine, however I wasnt!!! As it was a spur of the moment session, i wasnt wrapped up very warm and my hands and feet were numb after 45 mins.

and i made the misake of breathing out near to an ep in the focusser and it instantly fogged up and wouldnt clear... so that meant for the rest of the session i couldnt use the meade 6mm

There are SGL members who live in forn parts. And cold forn parts at that. I'm sure at least one who lives in Canada has been known to go out observing when the air temperature is below -20C.

James

I wouldn't worry about it. The temperature in UK or Nethelands won't draop cold enough to affect the scope's performance. Telescopes are designed to work in cold cloudless nights.

While there are reports of telescope stop working in cold nights, those reports generally come from area such as Canada and Alaska, where the night time temperature can drop belpw -20deg C. -5deg won't affect your telescope at all.

It's interesting that you mention fogging up the focuser. I think I might have done that last night to my finderscope. After an hour or so I noticed that I could no longer make out the crosshair in my finderscope so I assumed it was dew or fog. There was a lot of freezing fog in the air. I didn't know if it was ok for me to wipe it clear though, so I just left it and persevered :)

Thanks a lot for the fast answers! I'll make sure to take more care for my own warmth then the telescope's/

i was out last night for an hour in minus 6C. the scope and equipment was absolutely fine, however I wasnt!!! As it was a spur of the moment session, i wasnt wrapped up very warm and my hands and feet were numb after 45 mins.

and i made the misake of breathing out near to an ep in the focusser and it instantly fogged up and wouldnt clear... so that meant for the rest of the session i couldnt use the meade 6mm

That a good pointer, don't exhale into eyepieces, finders, camera, etc. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. The temperature in UK or Nethelands won't draop cold enough to affect the scope's performance. Telescopes are designed to work in cold cloudless nights.

While there are reports of telescope stop working in cold nights, those reports generally come from area such as Canada and Alaska, where the night time temperature can drop belpw -20deg C. -5deg won't affect your telescope at all.

Absolutely agree. Your willpower is likely to fail before the scope will. Batteries don't take extreme cold well though, and if you've been out at -10C then I'd try to avoid bringing the scope straight back into a room at, say, +20C if possible. The resulting thermal stress probably wouldn't be a major issue, but there's no point causing it unnecessarily.

James

I'd bring your equipment indoors and let it dry naturally (with the lens caps etc. left off). It'll be fine in the morning and you can pack up then. :smiley:

Exactly that. Just arrange things so any drips will run away from the optics.

James

2 of my 'fracs were made in Siberia....I'll give in way before they do :grin:

I always use the dew shield on my SCT, and keep eps in my pockets when not in the tube. I just bought some new boots with the express aim of trying to keep my feet warm as thats the part of me that really suffers when it starts to get below zero.

After an hour or so I noticed that I could no longer make out the crosshair in my finderscope so I assumed it was dew or fog. There was a lot of freezing fog in the air. I didn't know if it was ok for me to wipe it clear though, so I just left it and persevered :)

hmmm, i get that on my finderscope too - i think it might be worthwhile puttng a little cap on the end of it once i;ve zero'd in on a target!

Battery tanks dont like cold. If you have a transformator for powering the mount from the grid, or use an insulated box if you plan on using the power tank outside for more than a couple of hours.

Also you have to take care to put caps on binos, EP's and finderscopes, aswell as having proper dew shields and maybe heaters depending on scope typ. One way is to put the caps on the EP's and have them in your inner pockets when they're not in the focuser.

Dont stuff your boots with too many socks. You need blood circulation as well. Standing still is also a feet killer. Walk around much. If you can stand on something insulating, like pine branches or maybe a surplus camping mat, do that, it cuts cold radiating up from the groun into your soles.

Archived