NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lowest acceptable temperature for observing

I've hit around -12 to -15C on a couple of nights over the years. My kit was fine, my leisure battery survived (it was in a box with my laptop which provided some heat along with a thermos that wasn't that well insulated but provided a little warmth.

As some others have said at that point it's not really the kit that's the problem it's us - you need to be very well prepared as most people in the UK don't really experience much worse than just a little below zero. Also, a word of warning... if you are a visual observer otherwise used to the cold who takes up imaging then watch out. Imaging often results in you sitting down for longer periods and you can chill much quicker; I've had a couple of brushes with hypothermia and I really don't recommend it :rolleyes::sad:

James

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time i have seen ice on my scope last night and was wondering the same , it had ice all over it , my Wixey wouldn't stick to the scope it kept sliding down , I came in at about 21.30 , I gave up , finder had also misted up , I left scope in garage at an angle that hopefully any water runs down the sides and doesn't drip on the primary ,bought ep's in and took caps off and left them for a hour or so. Also display on Wixey started to go haywire. I was toastie though.

I agree re feet. nothing makes me more miserable than cold feet (and a cold back of the neck).

I dont get cold feet. Its one of the perks of Spina Bifida.

LOL.

I've been out observing in -11C. The air was COLD but dry, so my gear was fine. I had about 3 layers of clothes on which is more than ive ever worn in my life............so i was also fine. If anything i was too warm.

I dont get cold feet. Its one of the perks of Spina Bifida.

LOL.

I've been out observing in -11C. The air was COLD but dry, so my gear was fine. I had about 3 layers of clothes on which is more than ive ever worn in my life............so i was also fine. If anything i was too warm.

top positive thinking mate - like it LOL!

you remind me that when the air is still, it's often bearable to -10 or so but when there's even a whiff of a breeze, it makes even positive temperatures feel really quite parky.

If you bring in your scope from that cold of weather, you can definitely expect a layer of condensation on the mirror or lens.

Which reminds me I've been wondering about this: If you bring in your scope from such weather and immediately use the hair dryer or other form of heating the mirror back up, is it possible that the mirror can crack from rapid expansion? It's much like putting hot water on a cold windshield. Is a crack likely to happen?

I left my camera snapping away last night, got up at 5am to pack away before work and had to peel the cables off the patio and the camera strap was as stiff as Captain Scotts sleeping bag but it was still happily taking shots, not much point mind because at that time it was imaging the shed.

I left my camera snapping away last night, got up at 5am to pack away before work and had to peel the cables off the patio and the camera strap was as stiff as Captain Scotts sleeping bag but it was still happily taking shots, not much point mind because at that time it was imaging the shed.

was it ending the night with some 'barks'?

it always makes me laugh when i see brits outside in the cold shivering like mad.

Yet when you see brits go skiing, the first thing they do is put full long john thermals on, thin base layer, thick layer, jumper and then a ski jacket. Add some sallopettes, snood and hat, gloves and ski socks and thick ski boots and you are nice and toasty bombing about in -20C and worse! Add in zipping down a hill at 30mph and its associated wind chill.......

But as soon as they get home from skiing, they go outside in jeans, Tshirt and a thin coat and complain its cold - and say things like "its a different kind of cold to the alps" or other such rot. No mate, you're just half dressed!!!

my other hobby is offroading and naturally the conditions for mud and slime are better in winter, and the vast majority of us in the club wrap up like eskimos and rarely do we feel 'cold' - unless you get stuck in 3 feet of muddy water and have to wade through it to attach winch cables....then you are really COLD!

Dress appropriately and you can stand about in -10 or worse without much problem for several hours

Archived