Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Avex’s map : Light pollution of Europe

laser_jock99

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I knew the old classic avex map well enough to know that it looks like my location has moved from a dark blue zone to a cyan/green zone! :(

I would say that the skies have got worse in the five years I have observed on a regular basis (was always into stargazing but didn't get a telescope until more recently)

Can you do that? I'm trying to flick between the 2 and it's a little tricky. An overlay would be great.

Yep, I can't remember the original link I followed but here is one that might help.

http://www.iceinspac...=63,404,0,0,1,0

You need to download the file from the avex site and then open "image overlay" and go from there. The difficult bit is lining the coastlines up.

The thing is though I don't know how to remove the old map.

edit: http://www.google.com/earth/outreach/tutorials/earthoverlays.html

Can you do that? I'm trying to flick between the 2 and it's a little tricky. An overlay would be great.

Yes you can. Click the link below to download the overlay file:

Google Earth files (need google earth)

classique.kml <= Classic view

Go to the folder you downloaded the file in, click it and Google Earth should boot up with the overlay already in place. (Provided Google Earth is already installed on your PC)

I would love to know how many gigawatts of energy is wasted every year to make such pretty pictures for what can only be described as welcome lights for visiting extraterrestrials?

And they have the cheek to tell me to turn off my TV and not leave it on standby...

The Avex maps are a fantastic piece of work and Frédéric should rightly be commended for them.

As I understand it the maps are derived from population data and various assumptions about how much light is produced by a population of a given size and how that light typically spreads out from the source. They are therefore models rather than snap shots. In my experience they do generally correlate well with ground-based light pollution readings but, as the website says, they can't really take account of a local factors such as the effects of local building illumination or things like the off-shore oil platforms which blight the views of many astronomers in north east Scotland.

I guess my point is that if you're dead set on book a holiday or moving house to somewhere with minimal light pollution then use the Avex maps as a guide but do make enquiries about local conditions too!

Yes you can. Click the link below to download the overlay file:

Google Earth files (need google earth)

classique.kml <= Classic view

Go to the folder you downloaded the file in, click it and Google Earth should boot up with the overlay already in place. (Provided Google Earth is already installed on your PC)

Or this... that is the easy way.

Can you still change the transparency after it's booted up?

The Avex maps are a fantastic piece of work and Frédéric should rightly be commended for them.

As I understand it the maps are derived from population data and various assumptions about how much light is produced by a population of a given size and how that light typically spreads out from the source. They are therefore models rather than snap shots. In my experience they do generally correlate well with ground-based light pollution readings but, as the website says, they can't really take account of a local factors such as the effects of local building illumination or things like the off-shore oil platforms which blight the views of many astronomers in north east Scotland.

I guess my point is that if you're dead set on book a holiday or moving house to somewhere with minimal light pollution then use the Avex maps as a guide but do make enquiries about local conditions too!

I used the Avex maps during my last house hunt- it shows the hamlet as dim blue glow- even though there are no street lights here for 4-5 miles at least. What it won't show is stuff like annoyingly bright farm 'security' lights etc. This kind of thing should be checked out with a site visit. Still the Avex maps are a great pointer for searching out dark sky sites.

Update- yep our house has slipped into the magenta zone right next to the white overlay that is Nottingham city. I once found a property for sale on the isle of Vatersay: the skies there are as dark as an AA man's sock, but I wonder if the clouds ever dissapear there?

Onwards and upwards.

Steve

I've worked out what I wanted with the transparency.

Well I'm no better off than before, I'm still in the white which has expanded to the dark red that was around in places.

Like others I use the map for holidays and Belgium has gotten a lot worse, there is barely any blue left and no pockets of darker blue that there were in the old map.

More disturbingly the map of the area near Paris we are supposed to move to this year has deteriorated, I was reasonably confident of being able to get to a green area at least and that has been pushed further out.

I once found a property for sale on the isle of Vatersay: the skies there are as dark as an AA man's sock, but I wonder if the clouds ever dissapear there?

Onwards and upwards.

Steve

Vattersay must be very dark- St Kilda is probably even darker.

Archived