NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Avex’s map : Light pollution of Europe

laser_jock99

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard the moon is a good spot to observe from, although if your on the wrong side you have to put up with the awful glare from the planet nearby. :smiley:

A group of us tried that once, but no-one really enjoyed it.

James

With Spain in the economic situation it is, it would seem wise to invest in a country villa somewhere in that black patch south of the French border?...

It's almost temping to think about a holiday home and ship all my gear there..

With Spain in the economic situation it is, it would seem wise to invest in a country villa somewhere in that black patch south of the French border?...

I've had similar thoughts. If I have a reliable internet connection then I can work from anywhere in the world, so it could be very tempting to hire a villa somewhere for a month or two over the summer and mix work with a family holiday and a serious belt of astronomy into the bargain. Stay up all night stargazing, crash out by the pool during the day :)

James

I've had similar thoughts. If I have a reliable internet connection then I can work from anywhere in the world, so it could be very tempting to hire a villa somewhere for a month or two over the summer and mix work with a family holiday and a serious belt of astronomy into the bargain. Stay up all night stargazing, crash out by the pool during the day :)

James

Or dare i say, we aren't that far away from remote operation...

Maybe we're only 5 years away from being able to control everything over an internet connection including mounts, obsys, filters, etc. We can do it all on computer, its just going to take someone to write an overhauled program to do it all..

Not sure who's going to put the telescope caps back on though ;)

Or dare i say, we aren't that far away from remote operation...

Maybe we're only 5 years away from being able to control everything over an internet connection including mounts, obsys, filters, etc. We can do it all on computer, its just going to take someone to write an overhauled program to do it all..

Not sure who's going to put the telescope caps back on though ;)

Well, you know, when I win the lottery...

Someone will have to buy me a ticket first, mind.

James

I'd be over there in a flash if I could do that.

We are always on the look out for jobs in Spain, if the right one comes along then we are off without hesitation.

Unfortunately the requirement to consider children's education and future prospects limits my freedom regarding a permanent move. You never find out about these problems until it's too late :)

James

That is a consideration that needs to be made and it's something we have looked into hence why it has to be the right job, the international schools are pricey and pretty good but some places do have partner schemes especially if it's an EU job.

By the time our kids are teenagers we will probably move back to Australia which offers a good choice for them. If we have to move to Paris then we might be there even sooner.

There's plenty of cheap property in Spain (& Greece and Portugal for that matter) at the moment. If you've got the cash now might be the time to start looking? I'm still pretty much the middle of my working life with teenage children in tow, so no sunny retreat in prospect just yet. Would be nice though- Wales is dark but it feels like it's been raining continously since November........when will this grim weather end?

Archived