Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Skies Diary S Wales 2013

stevetynant

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 27 27th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 3 /27

Rain during day 14/27 Snow during day 11/27

Consecutive Non Observable nights 3 (starting 25 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 0 (starting x Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Group Observing Session planned 2 Group Observing Session Cancelled 2 100% (Weather related only)

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 - 5.2 C 24th Jan 2013 20:00

Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 12.0 C 3rd Jan 2013 13:00

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Sunday 6pm to 9pm - (astro panel sometimes lies)

Personal Observing sessions - zero (Personal excuses used 3 Ice, Too Cold and Flu))

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 11.1 %)

Stevetynant 15%, Garethmob 17%, Stuy 15.9%, Astro Joe 19%,

I actually got my scope set up in the garden at half past 5 tonight- a few small clouds drifting by, astro panel said good chance between 6 and 9pm so thought I'd have a go - beautiful view of Jupiter and its moons and the Plaedes but then at quarter past six the inevitable - wall to wall cloud out in the space of 15 minutes - if I could give this as a minus one night just for teasing me out then leaving me at the alter I would do.

Day 28 28th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 3 /28

Rain during day 15/28 Snow during day 11/28

Consecutive Non Observable nights 4 (starting 25 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 0 (starting x Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Group Observing Session planned 2 Group Observing Session Cancelled 2 100% (Weather related only)

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Wednesday 6pm to 9pm

Personal Observing sessions - zero (Personal excuses used 3 Ice, Too Cold and Flu))

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 10.7 %)

Stevetynant 15%, Garethmob 17%, Stuy 15.9%, Astro Joe 19%, Mr Flibble 12.6%, Texas Pete 16.16%, L8-Nite 13.7%, Lenny 147 10.96%

At some point last night it must have got really clear as the car was covered in frost but its blowing a gale now so no chance yet again. Thanks for the predictions folks- plenty of time for anyone else to lay down their guesses for 2013 - looks like we're a pretty pessimistic bunch down here in S Wales.

last night by me steve, not long after u got in i delivered right by where u live and i had "clear" moon sky with stars lol i actually commented to the customer and he was out looking too! there was also thunder an lighting around with the clear skys......

when i woke up weather station said 3 degrees took one stepp out of the awning into the yard n nealy went flying sheet of ice

at least im not the most optimistiic:P

When we've had so much poor weather its always a pleasure just to see the starts again Gaz isn't it. I know this diary isn't 100% scientific and pretty subjective I guess but I thought an observing session is half an hour set up and at least an hour at the scope - thats my ground rule for this purpose at least. 3 nights to go in January before it becomes an observing desert for me.

..........................Thanks for the predictions folks- plenty of time for anyone else to lay down their guesses for 2013 - looks like we're a pretty pessimistic bunch down here in S Wales.

I don't feel pessimistic Steve, if my guess is right, I look at it this way....." I've got 50 nights to enjoy ".

That's about one night a week for the year, and for me, more gratifying than going to the Pub on a Saturday night.

The money saved can be put toward more kit, A win win situation in my mind, I think ? :icon_scratch:

sorry guys this is all my fault , i was born on friday the 13th and everything i do is jinxed as long as i want to see the sky at night it will remain cloudy lol...

this really is getting me down the weather is appalling , its hitting me harder as i'm stuck in the blumming house with this ankle , but like steve it is winter and i for one expect this weather at this time of year i just hope to god that the spring/summer isnt a wash.. by then i should be quite able and out as many nights as i can..

sorry guys this is all my fault , i was born on friday the 13th and everything i do is jinxed as long as i want to see the sky at night it will remain cloudy lol...

this really is getting me down the weather is appalling , its hitting me harder as i'm stuck in the blumming house with this ankle , but like steve it is winter and i for one expect this weather at this time of year i just hope to god that the spring/summer isnt a wash.. by then i should be quite able and out as many nights as i can.

Think good thoughts Jon, the glass is always half full. :smiley:

Edit: I will however, accept your offer to take the blame for our weather, someone has to. :grin:

I know what you mean Majapala, at the moment I am putting together a must have list . I'm hoping our sponser, First Light Optics has or will be able to get the Baader adapters I need, as I don't see all of the items listed on the website; fingers crossed.

Thanks Gaz,

I haven't noticed this thread before, and I hope FLO will be making custom rings also.

For now, I think the Baader T2 system of adapters have what we need.

I would like to be able to use 1.25" or 2" eyepieces, and, or a 2" diagonal with our Telementor.

The little refractor has really impressed me, and I would like to be able to use some

of our other accessories with it.

Thanks for the link, and Cheers

Day 29 29th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 3 /29

Rain during day 16/29 Snow during day 11/29

Consecutive Non Observable nights 5 (starting 25 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Wednesday 6pm to 9pm - looks like the chances of even this short break are receding

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 10.3 %)

Stevetynant 15%, Garethmob 17%, Stuy 15.9%, Astro Joe 19%, Mr Flibble 12.6%, Texas Pete 16.16%, L8-Nite 13.7%, Lenny 147 10.96%

Virtually half the days in January its rained and on the few occasions it hasn't its snowed lol - John in purely astronomy terms Jan 2013 is about as good a time as you could have hoped for to be laid up with the ankle though I'm starting to think theres a direct correlation between non observing periods and astro spending

Day 30 30th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 3 /30

Rain during day 17/30 Snow during day 11/30

Consecutive Non Observable nights 6 (starting 25 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Friday Night into Saturday morning although the moon will be high in the sky at the same time

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 10.0 %)

Astro Panel pretty much got tonight spot on - I went outside about half past eight and large parts of the sky were inky black but the horizons were covered in fast moving orange clouds. The wind made it too frustrating - just when you thought you might get 10 minutes uninterrupted banks of cloud appear. I think you could have spent an hour outside tonight but it would have been hugely frustrating so another night not recorded as observable. Friday night looks possible and for those keeping their powder dry until Saturdays rugby could give a good opportunity to end January on a high. Drier and colder weather on the horizon before we go to about a week of extreme cold again according to the weather guys so might want to keep tuned in and see if we can get an impromptu meet set up in the next few weeks if we get the chance.

I managed to get out for 1 1/2 hours tonight! Could not believe it! Managed to bank a few of the objects from Turn Left at Orion - a truly fantastic book for those starting out.

Didn't get the 200mm reflector out to try it tonight, the mirror still isn't re-attached to the scope. The 130p did me well though.

Nice one Rhys, too frustrating with the clouds blowing across the sky here but I suspect if you were really keen there was a chance even here in the valleys. Its always a pleasure just to look up and see anything at all at the moment to be honest. Really looking forward to a night out at a dark sky site and I'm betting the chance will be here in the next two weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Day 31 31st January 2013 Observable nights 2013 3 /31

Rain during day 18/31 Snow during day 11/31

Consecutive Non Observable nights 7 (starting 25 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Friday Night into Saturday morning although the moon will be high in the sky at the same time

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 9.7 %)

Another frustrating night - stars, clouds,stars, clouds - think tommorrow will be the same although after the weekend- Tuesday/Wednesday looks like we're heading back into the chiller for a short time so determined to get an evening of observing done- the first real good prospect I'm taking a half day and heading North for an evening before I forget how to use the gear. Saturdays report will be a Sunday publish with Wales playing at half past 1 kick off - what a ridiculous time - followed by birthday bash down the inlaws - could be a long day.

Day 32 1st February 2013 Observable nights 2013 4 /32 Observable Night Tonight

Rain during day 19/32 Snow during day 11/32

Consecutive Non Observable nights 0 (starting X Feb 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 1 (starting 1st Feb2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Astro Panel Possible Observing Chance Friday Night into Saturday morning - good call Astro panel

Predictions for observable nights 2013 (Currently at 12.5 %)

Stevetynant 15%, Garethmob 17%, Stuy 15.9%, Astro Joe 19%, Mr Flibble 12.6%, Texas Pete 16.16%, L8-Nite 13.7%, Lenny 147 10.96% , Rhys Hardwick 16.44%

Rhys calling for 60 nights this year and perhaps we're on the way back - Tonight, though its windy and there are plenty of clouds about - if you were that enthusiastic and could shelter from the wind the sky is beautiful and clear - not sure how long it will last but theres definite opportunity for all those of you with unedr used scopes out there.

Watching rugby and partying all day tommorrow- could be late on Sunday when normal service resumed- c'mon Wales - Wales by 7 points is my guess.

If got the running cloud here Steve. But it would of been perfect tonight I'm currently in a blackout so no lights around but cos of cloud nothing :( darn it :(

What's the current stats on urs for number of continuous dry n wet days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Archived