Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Skies Diary S Wales 2013

stevetynant

Gaz-- how often have you got data sets being recorded in your weather station - I was doing it every hour but have just changed it in these extreme temps to every 10 minutes. Check out the weather forum mate- theres something huge potentially on our doorstep - will know more tommorrow evening but it looks quite scarey at the moment - Temp down to -0.2 outside - 50/50 whether to risk the scope or just get the bins out again this evening - could be the last for a while

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mines set to every 15 minuits, i thought it made sence with the way cumulas is set up :) is it right? what do you mean scary? i worked out i avoided posting on there too much, on sunday i posted one comment went to work, when i got home i had 300 emails of replys due to a subscription :o lol

Mega snow event on the horizon for Friday - start early hours and just keep going through till 10 in the night - again these can change but keep your eyes on the forecasts before making any plans. I think 10/15 minutes is sensible now that we have these weather events- I'll set it back to hourly or half hourly in the spring I think. Its clear outside Gaz -1.2 at the moment, though the moon has a definite frost ring and haze around it. Was debating whether to get the scope out but the back yard is like a skating rink so decided not to risk it. Don't think the seeing is anywhere near as good tonight - got Andromeda easily and was quite stunning at midnight last night - tonight it is just very hazy and a lot more difficault to observe, but afte the current wave of rubbish weather its definitely a step up.

-1.2? lol ur lucky its -3 for me :'( tempted to turn the garage light off an go out with the bins i packed all my scope stuff away on the weekend an to get it means releasing the cold into the caravan (their under the bed box in the front althrough at least there they are already at temp :p

looking on the weather forum its either rain or snow. how do you use ur weather station to "forcast" a short range forcast steve?

Day 15 15th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 2 /15 New Observable Night

Rain during day 10/15 Snow during day 3/15

Consecutive Non Observable nights 0 (starting X Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 1 (starting 15 January 2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Group Observing Session planned 2 Group Observing Session Cancelled 2 100% (Weather related only)

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 - 1.2 C 15th Jan 2013 20:10 NEW LOW TEMP RECORDED

Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 12.0 C 3rd Jan 2013 13:00

Astro Panel not looking too good at all for the foreseeable

Personal Observing sessions - zero

A definite opportunity to observe tonight although where I am there is a definite moisture in the air and haze around the moon but at zenith pretty good- definitely in comparison to recent weeks at least - looks like it might have been the last chance for a while looking at the forecasts. My back gardens just too much ice about (excuse number 2 used after flu earlier on)

-1.2? lol ur lucky its -3 for me :'( tempted to turn the garage light off an go out with the bins i packed all my scope stuff away on the weekend an to get it means releasing the cold into the caravan (their under the bed box in the front althrough at least there they are already at temp :p

looking on the weather forum its either rain or snow. how do you use ur weather station to "forcast" a short range forcast steve?

I don't really Gaz if the truth be told other than seeing the air pressure dropping is always a tell tale sign. There is a forecast function on it which is currently showing precipitation - whether its just similarly interpretting a trend in downward pressure I'm not sure.

on my hand unit theres a "photo" forcast but cumulas is a bit better but it annoyingly gives 12 hour in the future forcastes which annoyingly are mostly correct too ( i remember the first week i had it, it was a really really sunny day not a single cloud, it predicted stormy with much precipitation (around 8am). every one laughed at me, even my customers that night. at about 12 - 3 there was a mega lighting storm lol but obviously it dosent tell the difference between snow or rain

Same here Gaz - The weather forums though in the forecasting model threads are talking about weather like we have not seen in decades. I think it could be a while before we all get together up in Blaenavon again I'm afraid if everything comes to fruition.

Day 16 16th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 2 /16

Rain during day 10/16 Snow during day 3/16

Consecutive Non Observable nights 1 (starting 16 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 0 (starting X 2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Group Observing Session planned 2 Group Observing Session Cancelled 2 100% (Weather related only)

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 - 1.2 C 15th Jan 2013 20:10

Astro Panel WHITE/ORANGE OUT for the foreseeable

Expect all sorts of weather records to tumble over the next few days - pack the scopes away, get a bit of maintenance done, chances of observing are slim for a while unfortunately

Can't wait to see what happens friday morning when I look out of the window :grin: I'm still a child at heart when it comes to snow!! Cardiff is only forecast light snow so it may only be a dusting but blackwood looks like it'll be getting it heavy all day. Bread and milk people, its all about the bread and milk!!

(My observing sessions for 2013 - 0/16 so far!!!) The pain, the pain....

need to update yesterday it started snowing after I created it - the Met Office have issued a red warning for South Wales and the Valley's thats a pretty rare event- 20-30cm of snow in a few hours with drifting and blizzards forecast - guess we won't see Matt up in Blaenavon until about June I would guess (On a more serious note- be safe people could be brutal)

so not long left till it goes, its 28 degrees in the caravan currenttly and 1.5 outside...... no snow yet but it sure aint half icy.

no clear skys either just lots of cloud iv had 2 observable nights currently and one had too much moisture so was too orange :(

yeah two is what I've tagged so far Gaz - we might get a clear patch next week but it will be bitterly cold and if tommorrow comes off the snow could be lying for weeks so not ideal - probably bin viewing only (which is making me more and more think I might invest in a pair of 25 x 100 Bins at some point. Anyhows - gotta catch up on last night as it actually snowed after I posted the stats

Day 17 17th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 2 /17

Rain during day 10/17 Snow during day 5/17

Consecutive Non Observable nights 2 (starting 16 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Consecutive Observable nights 0 (starting X 2013) Record Consecutive Observable Nights 1 (9th Jan to 9th Jan 2013)

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 - 1.2 C 15th Jan 2013 20:10 Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 12.0 C 3rd Jan 2013 13:00

Astro Panel WHITE/ORANGE OUT for the foreseeable (again)

Snow storm of the decade approaching - large parts of S Wales and the Valleys in the Met Offices Red Zone (rarely issued, only for the most extreme of conditions)

Got all my gear on to walk - phoned the Surgery just before I left - no Drs available - oh well saved me a trip I guess

Day 18 18th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 2 /18

Rain during day 10/18 Snow during day 6/18

Consecutive Non Observable nights 3 (starting 16 Jan 2013) Record Consecutive Non Observable Nights 8 (1st Jan to 8th Jan 2013)

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 - 1.2 C 15th Jan 2013 20:10

Astro Panel WHITE/ORANGE OUT for the foreseeable (again)

With this snow down now and no increase in temperature above freezing for a while might be academic whether we have clouds or not for a short while

Archived