Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Skies Diary S Wales 2013

stevetynant

Day One 1st January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0/1

Rain at 9pm , cloudy at midnight perhaps 10% visability

I've been thinking about this for a while - now as I begin my second year in this great new hobby I'm wondering how many nights I actually spent observing last year and by this I mean telescope or binoculars out with a view to exploration not looking up on the way home from the pub. My guess is last year for me personally there were less than 30 occasions I actually got outside for a decent session.

This year I'm going to find out for sure by keeping an online count in this thread (unless the mods can see any reason why not in which case I'll go off line with it)

Its a pretty subjective count really - it only applies to where I live in the Rhymney Valley and is a general observation of the conditions - after all it could be raining when I get home from work but glorious black night when I wake up and peer out the window at 3am - so for it to count as an observable night it needs to be at least an hour of good skies between 5pm and midnight (later on the weekend perhaps) but in reality that is the window I usually have, though any suggestions welcome (other than letting me know I'm a list freak which I already know thanks very much)

1st January 2013 what better place to start.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day One 1st January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0/1

Rain at 9pm , cloudy at midnight perhaps 10% visability

I've been thinking about this for a while - now as I begin my second year in this great new hobby I'm wondering how many nights I actually spent observing last year and by this I mean telescope or binoculars out with a view to exploration not looking up on the way home from the pub. My guess is last year for me personally there were less than 30 occasions I actually got outside for a decent session.

This year I'm going to find out for sure by keeping an online count in this thread (unless the mods can see any reason why not in which case I'll go off line with it)

Its a pretty subjective count really - it only applies to where I live in the Rhymney Valley and is a general observation of the conditions - after all it could be raining when I get home from work but glorious black night when I wake up and peer out the window at 3am - so for it to count as an observable night it needs to be at least an hour of good skies between 5pm and midnight (later on the weekend perhaps) but in reality that is the window I usually have, though any suggestions welcome (other than letting me know I'm a list freak which I already know thanks very much)

1st January 2013 what better place to start.

good idea but it will depress you!!! the seeing conditions here in wales are poor and to think we invest in thousands of pounds in our hobby and time for a very poor return! being a planet man is even worse, constant jet stream brings with it terrible seeing ( you will be ok for deep sky) i had 2 nights last year of 8 pickering seeing!! the rest was 4 to 5 tops BUT WHEN WE DO HAVE THE SEEING ITS AMAZING WHAT A GOOD WELL COLLIMATED SCOPE CAN THROW UP!! and makes all the crappy nights worth it!!! :laugh:

It is a good idea Steve,but like Stuy says,I think it will depress you but HEY you never know. We Astronomers have to stay positive otherwise,what else do we have other than a pile of moneys worth of equipment gathering dust.We have to grab every opportunity we have to make it count because when it does count,oh boy what great sights we do get.I keep casting my mind back to when we were up in Trecastle with david and Gaz,the viewing that night was the best I have ever had since I started.Maybe this year we should try to get Mat to call one in Trecastle.Blaenavon should still be our base as its a good site with 360 views but that is also a good site, the only drawback being the distance and travelling time but a one off would be good :smiley:

The problem with the Trecastle site I think Pete beside the travelling (although its only 10 minutes longer for me to be honest) is the numbers at Blaenavon have increased recently and Trecastle won't accomodate more than a few cars (unless we have some dry weather and you can park on the Mountain).

I'll definitely get there more often though this year - weather permitting of course - do you think about 30 nights for last year was about right? fingers crossed we get at least double that this year.

I think you are right Steve, its about that but as regards to trecastle,I think with dry weather ,you can definately get more up there if we park the other side of the cattle grid. Its just an option for a one off,I think we should just mention it to the bossman for his opinion aswell.I had a couple of hours outside last night but it wasnt good viewing for me,what about yourself,I know mr fibble was gonna set up in his garden last night.

Nah was raining at 9 up with us Pete - to be honest after the best part of two weeks off work I was just starting to get the butterflies in my stomach thinking of work the next day - then clockwatched all night and coudn't sleep - then got into work 6.30am and forgot the key to my office so had to sit tight in the hall for an hour and a half before the rest of my group turned up- not the best start to 2013 lol

I'm up for any trips into mid Wales- we just need to get the clear sky first - I'd settle for a trip into the garden at the moment

Day 2 2nd January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0/2 Rain during day 2/2 Snow during day 0/2

Lowest Temperature recorded during 2013 4.5 C 1st Jan 2013 09:00

Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 11.0 C 2nd Jan 2013 14:00

light rain during day - everything outside upstairs is one big Orange fur ball.

Day 3 3rd January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0/3 Rain during day 2/3 Snow during day 0/3

Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 12.0 C 3rd Jan 2013 13:00 New High for 2013

The Orange glow persists outside but it has to be said the cloud doesn't look as thick as it has been. On the way to work this morning I pulled over just before Rhiwderin and got out of the car for a moment just to see the stars again - the gap quickly closed and the status quo returned. Amazing how mild it is in the night now aswel 8-10 degrees most of last night for the beginning of January. Bit of potential good news on the way -the guys on the weather forum are predicting a cold snap in 10 to 12 days time - hopefully meaning clear skies. Unfortunately at that distance they refer to it as fantasy island but worth keeping your eyes open on it and fingers crossed for some sustained clear nights.

Which weather forum do you browse Steve? Iv got a weather station it's currently at 40% capacity as the hydrometer/outside thermometer/transmitter failed iv had a new one from clos ohlson but I haven't been well enough to replace it up the ladder :(

I remember we reading a long time ago about a member who had a arduino project for cloud cover.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Hi gaz, net weather is the one belong to and have done for years. I've got a lacrosse weather station, all digital and wireless works really well though I've taken the rain guage off line for a while whilst i clean it up. It cost about $150 I think a few years ago. I would like a better one but can't justify paying the 350 plus for the one I want at the moment but who knows in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Day 4 4th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0/4 Rain during day 3/4 Snow during day 0/4

Highest Temperature recorded during 2013 12.0 C 3rd Jan 2013 13:00

Status Quo - an ugly , though not suprizing pattern emerging.

The biggest suprize yesterday really was that the temperature midnight to midnight for the whole 24 hour period only varied by @ 1 degree C for the whole period between @ 10 and 11 degrees.

Day 5 5th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0 / 5 Rain during day 3/5 Snow during day 0/5

Group Observing Session planned 1 Group Observing Session Cancelled 1 Cancellation due to weather/clouds 100%

A new depressing stat added today and although there were intermitant gaps in the clouds it was unfortunately little to be excited about.

The temperature is still suprizing = barely a degree difference between night and day for the past 48 hours

Hope stargazing live which starts Tuesday I believe fairs better.

Lol iv seen the lacrosse Steve very nice. Mine was a cheap £80 (on sale for £40) job but it is wireless and I use cumulas for predictions. Hopefully the weather recording will get better

the best thing about it really Gaz is you can write your own reports in it (I think the software is called heavy weather) and export your data into excel to give even more graphical displays - a bit sad I know but its quite interesting lining up two years worth of data and then comparing. I've only had it since 2011 but am building up my records.

Fingers crossed for next week Steve its looking promising for Wednesday night plus there could be a promising High pressure front moving from the north for next weekend.

Your right Matt - their starting to get excited again in the weather forums though the weekend see's the possibililty of a rain/ snow event. Wednesday looks the best bet but just hope I've shaken enough of this damned flu off to tale advantage. Have to keep my eyes on the forum to see what transpir5es - heres a brief synopsis of whats happening - althoughh experience shows these things can turn around with less than 24 hrs notice

A ridge of high pressure follows the rain for Wednesday, which starts with a ground frost for many places. Then a nice bright and dry day but cooler than of late, maxima of 7 or 8c, close to the January average. Wednesday night is largely clear and frosty with fog patches affecting some areas by Thursday morning. Big changes in our weather pattern underway from Thursday leading to a much colder and potentially wintry one, as a blocking high forms somewhere to our north. The exact positioning of this high will dictate how cold it gets from next weekend, but the potential is there for a very cold spell setting in with snow in places.

blogentry-2595-0-69110300-1357477015_thumb.png

But back to Thursday itself, our ridge is getting squeezed by lows to the west and north-east, will this hang on? If so another bright, and coldish day after a frosty and possibly foggy start, however rain may threaten west Wales later. Exact weather details becoming increasingly difficult to pinpoint as we enter atmospheric flux, so do not make plans on the basis of this guide for next weekend! It is most likely that during Friday low pressure slides close to SW UK bringing rain here, hard to say how far north-east this extends at this predictive range, so Friday looks dry for most, but rain may edge up, more especially into south Wales and perhaps also the south Midlands, and as it does so colder Continental air is dragged over the UK. Just the chance of rain turning to snow for southern parts later on Friday or on Friday night, a cold and raw day maxima probably just 3 or 4c.

blogentry-2595-0-18149800-1357477044_thumb.png blogentry-2595-0-41852500-1357477062_thumb.png blogentry-2595-0-99086200-1357477075_thumb.png blogentry-2595-0-16957700-1357477098_thumb.png

The ECM model has a very cold scenario next weekend, with a high close to Iceland and low over the near Continent, a really cold raw NE blast over the UK. GFS also shows a very cold weekend to come, but with a Scandinavian high in place. It will not take much in these kind of set ups for localised snowfalls to occur, no way of knowing where and when as yet, but suffice to say next weekend looks very cold with snow in places. Maxima barely above freezing come Sunday, so quite a shock to the system after all the mild, quiet weather of late! The cold set up looks like lasting well into the following week too.

Day 6 6th January 2013 Observable nights 2013 0 / 6 Rain during day 4/6 Snow during day 0/6

Group Observing Session planned 1 Group Observing Session Cancelled 1 100% (Weather related only)

Personal Observing sessions - zero

Ground hog Day

That sounds like what cumulas does but I haven't played with it really its running on an eepc is that program you use properity or will any work with it? I wonder how many groundhog days we gonna get:(.

One thing though with that weather prediction. The best night iv ever had was in the garden in my auntys and 2 foot of snow around me

Archived