Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Newcastle

geordieskiers

Hi, I am really new to astronomy and have just got a skywatcher 127 synscan telescope for christmas. I have had moderiate sucess on my 1st attempt with it but I am unsure what sky territory I'm in? My Latitude and Longitude is 55.0,-1.6 and I don't know how to find out which sky territory I'm in? Northern, Northeast, Southwestern, Western etc?

If anyone could let me know what my right setting (sky territory) should be on my handset this would be greatly appreciated by me and would help me dearly when trying to align using the 2 star method.

Many thanks in advance and a happy new year to all!!

P.S sorry about the miss spelling on the name lol!

post-27727-0-18837000-1357003813_thumb.j

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome to SGL and the New Year, I am afraid I do not have GOTO or handset, but by sky territory they could be referring to the Northern Hemisphere which is our part of the World, however, I do not think it will be long before you have a more positive answer to your inquiry, Nice piccy of the Moon by the way :)

John.

Hi and welcome to the forum. From the setting up instructions on page 5 you will see that they refer to appendix 'C' to calculate your time zone adjustment. If you are in the U.K there is no adjustment to make as you sit in zone zero, so I press enter on the handset to move to the new question. When it comes to keying in your co-ordinates of where you are viewing from, I refer to Google Earth. The handset only requires that you put in 00.00 don't bother with the seconds. One last thing which may sound obvious, ensure you input the date as MM-DD-YY which is the american way and not DD-MM-YY. :smiley:

Clear skies

James

Good Morning and Happy New Year to all fellow astronomers!

Thanks for all the quick reply's I can see as a complete noob I have come to the right place for kind help and understanding ;)

I would just like to elaberate on what I posted last night, I am trying to use the 2 Star alignment in my handset (Skywatcher 127 synscan az) and to try to locate the stars that come up in the list I'm using Skeye App from google play, but I can't seem to find any of the stars or they were ot of range (of my tiny suburb back garden) that are programmed into handset via this app.

I guess I'm really after any beginners tips from anyone who may have the same or similar telescope to the one Santa kindly left for me.

Again any comments or advice are greatly appreciated and hopefully I'll get a chance to get back out there tonight to try and get some better results.

Thanks in advance

Daniel :laugh:

Hi morning major thanks for the promt reply yeah I got stellarium this morning what a piece of freeware! I haven't tried 3 star yet as I don't seem to have that option, this may be because I haven't upgraded the firmware yet (waiting for serial to USB adapter coming) once I get this I will give it a try. Thanks again for the reply all lie best!

Welcome to the forum.

I got the same scope as you last xmas as my first scope - can't fault it and particularly great for Lunar & Jupiter.

For me however, aperture fever kicked in last summer and I've now got a 12" Dob :)

Enjoy your new scope

Hi Daniel and welcome. As long as you've aligned your mount north correctly and inputted the details for date, time zone, and latitude correctly (this is degrees, minutes, seconds) then the scope should find its alignment stars ok. Expect it to be off slightly when it slews to the stars as when you adjust it and save it, you are telling the mount/handset exactly where the stars are (as opposed to its best guess). To be fair, so long as the mount is set right, a one star align will suffice for viewing (if you struggle to see more than one alignment star from your position).

Good luck and ask away if you need any other advice! :)

Hi Welrod 50

Thanks for the info but could you please clarify, do I have to have the tripod/mount aligned north? I mean is there somewhere on the mount or tray that has a marking to use to align north?

I'm back in the garden tonight lovely clear skies and I'm trying to find "Brightest Star" this being Capello once I have this beautifully aligned both with sight and scope it asks me to find a 2nd star "Vega".

I'm only trying to use the "Brightest Star" setting but it keeps asking for 2nd star, and unfortunately Vega is no within viewing distance of my small back garden.

Any help would be great as I'm scratching my head while writing this and deeply gutted that another clear sky is passing me by!!

Happy New Year

Archived