Hi from Karbon

Karbon

Hello from North Carolina :) So I just wanted to make an introduction and also ask... on a very low budget, what would be a good start for me to view deep space objects? This may not be possible on a low budget and if that's the case...

What about the planets such as Mars or Mercury? I want to view them... not just a big blob or spec.

Thanks, Karbon.

Hello Karbon - You will most likely find that a Dobsonian reflector will fit the bill best. Basically a Newtonian reflector on a simple and chaep to produce mount. They are also very easy to use - just plonk them down and you are off! If your budget will stretch to it a 150mm or (maybe better) a 200mm size (thats the diameter of the main mirror) would be an ideal starter scope that would show DSo's as well as the moon and planets at a decent scale?

Hi Karbon and welcome to SGL, the advice regarding Dobs as a basic, but good scope for DSO, working on a low budget, is about as good as it gets. the only thing is what aperture to get for your money ? the answer to that one is the biggest you can afford, but a 6" can be very rewarding all the same :icon_santa:

John.

Hi Karbon and welcome aboard. To edit posts you need to have posted yourself a certain number of times to 'unlock' this feature. One of the Mods will be along at some point and should be able to tell you exactly how many (it's quite a few).

Good luck with whatever scope you choose.

:)

Thanks, I'm very familiar with bulletin board software.. I hate double posting. I've administrated a ton of forums and was just pointing out I couldn't edit so I had to double post xD I'll report it though and get it fixed. I'm OCD about that stuff.

Does anyone have any direct links to the products they recommend?

Archived