Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebulas from LP skies

Astro_king

Hi

Dark skies certainly help when hunting diffuse nebulae but some of the brighter ones stand out remarkably well considering (the Omega neb M17 and the lagoon M8 are worth trying for in the summer :) )

Some of the planetary ones have high enough surface brightness to be readily seen even from quite LP skies (M57 & M27 to name a couple).

An UHC filter may well help draw out some further details too :)

I think that you should be able to see most of the small bright blue planetary nebulae. Just look for something non-stellar that blinks when you look at it with direct vision.You should be able to see M57 in Lyra, the Eskimo in Gemini (NGC2392)

I can see these from town and when the Moon is partially gibbous:

M27, M97,NGC6826 (Blinking planetary), NGC7662 (Blue Snowball).

Given the diffuse and low surface magnitude of diffuse and emission nebulae, I'd advise you to stick to brighter targets.

If you can get to a dark site, you'll be stunned by the beauty and range of objects available,

Nick.

The best way to get the most out of observing (brighter) nebulae from home, as with from under a dark sky, is to ensure that your eyes are as far as possible, fully dark adapted. I occasionally use an orion ultra block filter, however I always use a dew shield to help combat stray light.

You can a reasonable number with a 6" scope from very light polluted skies. I haven't got my notes to hand but most have probably been mentioned above. M57 and the eskimo are very good under less than ideal conditions.

I don't have a light poluted sky in any way. However it is not just LP that causes problems. I was making notes for a review I have posted on the Delos 6mm "v" the Meade 5.5mm and I was trying to find C2 which is a planetary nebula with a 190mm SW and I couldn't see it, this was because of the Moon and it was only just above 3/4. So it is not just LP that gives problems. I am fairly sure I was on it to, I had just slewed from C! which I could see, but not well. We also had 100% snow cover which I am sure was only making matter worse.

Happy New Year.

Alan.

Archived