Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

xmas obys build

msh1

hi all as im off over xmas for a week or so i hope to get my obsy built ,so far i have got a shed setup and running so my scope is outside and im inside all nice and warm so far so good now i want to build a room for the scope im not going to do a concrete pier or anything like that what im thinking is to lay a concrete slab 1.8x1.8x100mm deep put scope tripod on that build up with wood and have a rolling roof on top i cant see that there will be any vibrations etc its not joined to the warm room what do you think ,there is a possibility of departing these shores in the next couple of years so i dont really want a huge lump of concrete in the garden that i would hav to dig up

mark

Best of luck with the project and be sure to keep us updated with your progress - it's always good to read about everyone's observatory build projects. Sounds like you've got a head start if you have a mate who will help with the woodwork.

Merry Christmas to you!

at this rate it will be a summer project :smiley: ive not used my scope for weeks now, tomorrow look clear tho, and i just ordered a pst from flo

Having the same problem here - my build has stalled a little due to the Xmas break and yet more rain and wind.

well a bit of progress today, the shuttering is done and the base layer is down ,tomorrow im making concrete, i would have started it today but realised id underestimated the amount of ballast needed so a quick trip in the morning is needed i ill post a pic when done

mark

• 2 weeks later...

some progress at last, my chippy mate cant help at the moment so i took the plunge and started to build frame myself yesterday. got most of it completed and as its clear i thought before i go any further i would try it out first ,and its clear skys at the mo, im going to clad the frame in hardwood ply either 12 or 18 mm thick the RnR roof maybe changed not sure yet im thinking of a hinged lid affair instead as its only 4ft square, the shed next to it is the warm room . i got to put some more timbers into the frame yet

onwards and upwards

mark

post-22762-0-60951400-1358088877_thumb.j

i had a very good day today on the obsy i was hoping to get it finished but that didnt happen im nearly there just a couple of lengths of wood to go in ,some preservative needed .

post-22762-0-36352600-1358612038_thumb.j

I'd suggest you keep a really close eye on the wood you've used for the walls of your obs. From the look of it you've used OSB board which, I'm afraid, is not vey good at keeping out the elements, even with a few coats of preservative. I once made a roll-off shed for an EQ mount out of the same material. It was fine for a year or so, then rotted and fell apart! Thick exterior ply may have been a more suitable material.

it is external board but i was going to clad it at some point soon anyway what timber merchant do you use gina

Good idea, in which case you may want to consider re-doing the roofing felt over the edge of whatever cladding you use, to prevent water ingress into the gap between the cladding and the board. I know it would be a bit of a hassle, but to be safe, I think I'd remove the OSB and put a better alternative directly onto the frame, with perhaps an internal membrane to keep the interior dry.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

it is external board but i was going to clad it at some point soon anyway what timber merchant do you use gina

It's just outside Hemyock - forget the name ATM. There must be one nearer to you though.

Archived