Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lyra Optic 4" f11

foundaplanet

Just found this thread, Foundaplanet, great read, thanks!

Everything you say about these great refractors is true, they are amazing value for money and so well built. I have to say that mine has ousted my previously beloved Tal 100RSs..slightly less CA but mainly the build quality of the tube I find more pleasing. The lens coatings look quite similar actually, that lovely bluish tinge.

The coatings on this frac seem to be up there with the best. For out and out star points, the Lyra will show pretty much all the faint stars that my Intes M603 6" Mak will show..Impressive. Enjoy your new toy and take time to use it (skies permitting) and discover how much you can see with this lovely scope.

Here's mine sporting it's little Vixen 70mm "finder".. :grin:

cheers

Dave

post-4043-0-45254200-1359501342_thumb.jp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John :smiley: . Had the setup out just briefly tonight (had to, seeing some shiny points of light up there - think they are called "stars"??? :grin: . The Orion nebula was superb tonight, and the scope shows so much detail for a 4". The little Vixen wasn't bad either!

great scopes for not that much cash..

cheers

Dave

The worst thing about my Lyra is that it shows how much Coma my dob has! :rolleyes:

I had both scopes set up earlier, I planned on doing a couple open cluster sketches with the big one until the moon rose then switch to the 4". I ended up watching the GRS transit with the Lyra and completely lost track of time and didnt touch the 16" all night. :grin:

I like many others use the Kumning 4" f11 for solar.

I have a "conversion" collar which allows the Baader Herschel wedge to be used, then a quick change-over to the modded PST set-up - the best of both worlds - great white light viewing and great Ha viewing - majic!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep :grin:

This leads me to a quandary though. Wonderful scope though I'm sure it is, am I the only one that feels that the latest creation from Skylight Telescopes is a little, er, garish :undecided:

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=65788

Well... Brass makes anything look good, I think! The deep red looks quite classy, now - new and shiny, but I wonder if it would still look as good in 5 years time? Obviously I'd suspect a certain level of "maintenance" from owners of these scopes to keep them looking as good as new. Brass and dark blue would be maybe a touch more conservative and still stylish. Ultimately rthough, will Richard not build the tube to be whatever colour the customer requests? If you lik white, ask for white - I'm sure you'd get it! (hopefully...) ;)

Ant

Yep :grin:

This leads me to a quandary though. Wonderful scope though I'm sure it is, am I the only one that feels that the latest creation from Skylight Telescopes is a little, er, garish :undecided:

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=65788

Heck no, polished brass on deep red,Lovely. stick that on a dark wood mount, be a classic in no time, you just wait :smiley:

The red tubes on display at astrofest yesterday reminded me of my beloved and now, sadly, broken race bike frame which I'd had repainted a few years back in a flamboyant red with thick lacqueur. I think my bike was a bit faster than f15 though...

picture.php?albumid=1889&pictureid=13318

Stop posting things My wife says i can't afford :sad:

Slightly back on track, the TS elite is almost twice the price of Bresser 127 and TAL 100, and you can get a 150 for around the same money, going on the you get what you pay for mantra, is the TS a greatly superior 5" er? (compared to these not the ones John keeps teasing us with :smiley: )

Archived