Eyepiece, high or medium for regular use

Mzungu

Hi

I have a 10, 15, 25 and a Barlow to use with my 200 dob. The 10 and 25 are the stock plossis and will no doubt be replaced at some point in the future. The 15 is a BST and I'm quite happy with it.

So, that gives me the following range:

5 = 240x

7.5 = 160x

10 = 120x

12.5 = 96x

15 = 80x

25 = 48x

So I'm thinking of adding 1 eyepiece to the mix. Which one will I get more normal use out of, or do you recommend anything else?

A 6mm gives me 200 or 400 ( barlowed).

A 18 mm gives me 67 or 133 (barlowed).

I'm quite happy to get another BST, as i like the one I have. That said, I'll also spend a bit more if its required, ideally not more than £120 or so.

Am I missing a trick anything you suggest?

Any advice appreciated and clear skies!

Ive got the 18mm BST and its brilliant, usually the 25mm that comes with your scope is quite good but the 10 is rubbish if your going replace them why not get an 8mm or 12mm BST as you like them. ive got 2 and im going to get the full range, and forget the Barlow lens altogether.

I would go for an 8mm BST.

The 25 is likey reasonable, the 15mm is good medium, the 8mm would add higher power.

If the barlow works, no real guarantee, the 15mm gives 7.5mm, close to the 8mm but you cannot miss everything, and with the 25mm you get 12.5.

I have ignored the 10mm amd the barlow combination, as this is usually notoriously poor.

Otherwise the 12mm BST but that means nothing at high power as just an eyepiece, you would need the barlow and the 12mm to get higher powers.

A lot depends on the quality of the barlow.

I'd suggest replace the 10mm with a better quality eyepiece. Around 120x and 240x are magnifications I use a lot. I personally wouldn't go above 300x, as I've only ever had two nights where I got sharp views at 300x (those views were incredible, though!). I have heard of some people going above 300x but for me I think 300x is the max.

Hope you get some clear skies soon, though I can hear the rain as I type! :-o

id go one of two ways. either as tinker suggests, a 30-32mm or id go for a 12mm bst which will give better views than the barlowed stock 25mm, as well as giving you that option of x200 when you barlow it up.

Thanks all for the advice, appreciated.

I'm thinking 2 rather than 1 is a better idea!

A 32ish for nice wide views, and as discussed a 8 or a 12. I'm tending towards the 8 tbh but still undecided on those two...

I would opt for a 2 Inch lens - probably a 31mm Baader aspeheric or a 32mm panaview

Its an odd thig - when I first started in this hobby last year with the same scope as you the race for lens was all about magnification - now I tend to use the least powered in terms of magnification lens more than any other in fact some nights I'm just reluctant to take the 31mm out at all.

Good luck with your choice whatever you decide.

Hello all - first of all - many thanks for all the feedback. Fantastic!

So, I've pondered and this is my new plan (until tomorrow no doubt)

I'll plan to get the following:

• 18mm bst
  • 6mm tmb
  • and then a 32 panaview

So all in that's about £170.

I'm not going to rush out and buy all 3 as I think its healthier to get maybe 1 at a time, spend some time wioth it etc so you learn whats good. I don't want to lose myself in too much change.

So, the 3 choices above cover the low/mid and high mags quite nicely,with the panaview being a nice wideview as well. Not sure which end I'll start at, but prob the panaview. That way I can spent more time just looking up and learning my bearings.

Anyway - thanks again for all the help. Please shoot me down if what I've said is a stupid idea

Not bad choices there buddy :)

No complaints from me except one observation, a 12mm BST would give you a 6mm when barlowed removing the need for the TMB.

So maybe change the TMB to a 12mm BST...

thats what i suggested, would give you your 6mm when barlowed ,which saves buying a 6mm e/p.

hello all

So I'm taking the collective wisdom and getting the 12 and 18 along with a 32 panaview. While it's close to the 15 its a nice little spread for medium viewing...

I fully expect to stop using the stock 10 that came with the scope as its horrible.

Anyway - thanks again for the advice. Next on the list is a focusser and of course, most important of all, some clear skies to use the damn stuff!

Merry Christmas!

Archived