Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Christmas Rose

Martin-Devon

Seems fitting somehow just before Christmas to have an image of the Rosette. Also, looking at the weather forecast (dire as usual) this is likely to be my last image before Christmas. Took this earlier in the week, 18x10min H-alpha, 9x10min OIII and 9x10min SII, all taken on a single (moonless) night & calibrated with darks & flats.

Coincidentally, I took the same image last Christmas as well, but it took me 3 weeks then since I needed a mosaic of 4 frames with my CCD at that time (Atik 314L+), and the weather was miserable. So, I was lucky that one year on, with a new wider field CCD in the Atik 460EX I now managed to get all of the Rosette in a single frame, and all the narrowband subs during a single night - that must be progress!

Martin

8275032058_75c0e4aae1_b.jpg

Gina, the processing I used was the standard Hubble palette method SHO = RGB, however the initial colour outcome still needs a lot of tweaking especially with the reds & blues to get to the final colour. It's a bit ironic really since probably 90% of the data is in the H-alpha channel, which maps to green - then for the processing you have to do everything possible to hold back the green and enhance the reds & blues that only consititute around 10% of the data. I've tried other mapping schemes but the colours come out pretty weird, but I'm sure there is scope here for somehow taking proper advantage of all the H-alpha data!

Great image Martin - very impressive detail and I like the colour balance.

All the more impressive with relatively little OIII and SII data. Gotta love the sensitivity of the 640 EX haven't you.

Keep 'em coming - really gives the rest of us something to aspire to...

Just a big "thank-you" for all of your comments & feedback. When you put hours & hours of work into an image, both taking it & then processing/refining it, there is nothing more rewarding than to see that when peer reviewed by other imagers that they like what they see - it really does make it all worthwhile.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of the many others that post regularly on SGL as well, including many of you that have commented on this post, so please be equally warm & generous with your feedback to others as well and make their day too :smiley:

Martin

Archived