Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

meteor strike HOTNEWS

bottletopburly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apparently he was on the toilet at the time dont know if if offending meteor has been found will update if its true

It wasn't a meteor! .. but it might have been a meteorite.

How do they know it was a meteorite if they didn't see it and haven't yet found anything?

.....Can find no reference to any such event in the UK in the last 100 years...

Oh, there have been a few: :smiley:

http://www.meteoritehistory.info/UKIRELAND/C20.HTM

The value will depend on the type and amount retrieved. Assuming a relatively ordinary type of stone chrondrite then the initial value could be around £100 per gram or more. If it's of lunar or martian origin then 10x this or more.

Kai - Just what I was thinking.

Ant (the other one) - Yea, I would say that is part of it - the vast sharing of info via the internet along with satellite communications in out present world does make some things appear different than they are, that is, frequently hearing about certain events all the time presently even though they were happening as much in the past but were (for some reason) not reported to the mass public. As far as a sudden influx of meteor material? No...just that more people today are interested in such news so now these events gey reported much more often. Don't worry...you will be safe from any meteors...it's those reports of :alien: encounters we have to worry about :grin:

On Christmas Eve in 1965 the Barwell Meterorite hit several properties:

http://blog.jurassic...stmas-meteorite

These things do happen in the UK, occasionally.

Thanks John, I had forgotten about the Barwell strike.

Regarding the comments by others about frequency, I don't think strikes are any more frequent now than in the past, in fact there is the possibility of them being less frequent, depending on how one interprets historical accounts of rocks falling from heaven...As has been mentioned the fact that so much information is now freely available via the Net has certainly made people appreciate how often strikes occur, in the past reports of strikes tended to be local news and in the science community, now reports of these events often garner national and even on occasion, International News crews.

I have mixed feelings about this, whilst it is important that all strikes are recovered asap, I think there could be a danger of too many reports giving the perception of danger where none readily exists. I find this whole subject of impacts a worrisome one. On the one hand the impact of larger objects is down played by the science community and treated like a novelty for Hollywood's profits by the majority of the population, when in fact there is a clear and present danger, and on the other the science community and the media make a lot of noise about meteorite strikes, creating a possible perception of higher frequency than is real...

Having said that I would relish the impact of a 100-250m object on Earth as this would really garner the focus on the dangers the smaller bodies in the inner solar system pose to our society. I understand the odds of an impact of this size in a given year are something like 1000/1, but there has to be a time when our luck runs out. A strike of this magnitude in the West would be truly devastating, and that is without the potential for massive infra-structure damage and lives lost. Perhaps we need one to hit the Moon on the Earth facing side to bring it home without the damage here!!

..... Perhaps we need one to hit the Moon on the Earth facing side to bring it home without the damage here!!.....

I think the collision of comet Shoemaker-Levy with Jupiter in 1994 opened a lot of eyes to the potential risks. Some of the cometary fragments were 2km or more in diameter. This is from the NASA website on the possibilities of Near Earth Object impacts:

"Above an energy of a million megatons (diameter about 2 km), an impact will produce severe environmental damage on a global scale. The probable consequence would be an "impact winter" with loss of crops worldwide and subsequent starvation and disease."

Just to put this into context, the largest UK fall (Barwell 1965) was estimated to be around the size / mass of a large turkey before it broke into small fragments.

Archived