Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

be honest...

Spec-Chum

Has anyone ever upgraded their eyepiece to a premium one and been disappointed by the results vs the costs?

I went from BST to Meade 5000 and if think the differences are well worth it but I get the feeling if I now upgraded to a NaglerI I'd be disappointed considering their cost.

So, let's here your "well. That was a waste of money" stories.

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im quite new to this ,so im no expert and have limited experience with views through e/p's. but i upgraded from bst explorers and starguiders to x-cel lx, and although i think i get a very slightly sharper view towards to outer edge ,i preffered the bst's for comfort of use. i do like the x-cels and will happily use them no problem , but the eye sat alot easier with the bst's. now to be fair thats not a REAL upgrade i suppose as they are in simlar price brackets. i have to say my favourite eyepiece in my short time gazing at the stars has been the 32mm meade 4000 plossl and the 26mm meade 4000 smoothside. they were comfortable, easy on the eye and produced sharp images.

ive just bought a 2" sw 30MM AERO , i cant wait to shove it in the focuser and try it out , perhaps then i might have a stronger opinion on upgrades,as this is what id call a step up.

by the way arn't the meade 5000 the same as the x-cel lx ?

The 2 ethos I have are fantastic eyepieces, way way better than the other eyepieces I have, are they worth what they cost? Only time will tell, it helps I got the 2 of them for a collective saving of £450 over new, I'm not sure i could justify the new cost, I've bought mine for the future, yes they are great in my current scope but I am aiming to have a faster one in the future.

i also have a 7mm nagler sat in the local delivery office waiting to be collected, saved £120 over new on that so again that makes the extra cost easier to swallow,

i made a decision when upgrading my eyepieces that I was going to buy the best but to buy second hand to mitigate the extra cost, im not regretting it yet.

For all I might like Naglers and Ethos there is simply no way I could actually bring myself to pay for them, and I could afford to if I had the inclination. Just because something better exists is not what could make me buy.

Something makes me decide how much I will spend, and that really is a non-moveable limit.

I have the full set of BST's, I also have the TV plossl's and for a couple of short focal length scopes I have 2 TMB's that are less then 5mm.

Although most likely better I would regret spending £300+ on a good eyepiece to be honest.

If the BST's had not been available I might have paid the extra on Celestron X-Cels (might) but I would not pay the present price of the TV plossl's for them. The ones I have were purchased used, took time but I have them now.

I am happy with the eyepieces I have, I suppose in the same way as I am happy with the car I have, and I am happy with the TV I have. I am not going to go buy a Porche nor am I going to buy a 42" TV/cinema system and in the same way I am not going to go buy 3 eyepieces for over £1000.

I've not been disappointed by my BGOs when I bought them, nor by my Panoptic and Nagler. I don't know if I'll ever buy a TV eyepiece new, but they still had that "wow!" moment when I first used them.

James

Another 'no' from me too. My Nagler was a revelation from the other EPs not just because of the ultra wide view but sharp from edge to edge. Could I justify paying for one in all the FLs I wanted? No also, hence the ES82s :D

You're probably right though, going from UWA to Nagler will probably be an anti-climax. Just don't try an Ethos ;)

it's an extremely personal choice as to whether or not the purchase is worth it. the only eyepiece I have ever bought and been disappointed with that had a top name was the Televue 8-24mm zoom. this is not a real Televue but a re-branded and more extensively QC'd generic Chinese eyepiece.

the best way to check if it's worth it is find a mate who has a Nagler and compare them.

To be honest I went from cheapy free with the scope EPs to Meade 5000 super plossls which were big improvements adding a TV radian to fill the 12mm gap I had but got it 2nd hand for £115 so for the money I'm chuffed with the quality. My other big buy was my ES 68 degree 24mm which is a stunning EP got on sale from the US for £130 inc customs and fees so still alot of EP for the money. Not a single regret. But then I've not exactly spent hundreds on any one EP. :-)

I've not been disappointed by my BGOs when I bought them, nor by my Panoptic and Nagler. I don't know if I'll ever buy a TV eyepiece new, but they still had that "wow!" moment when I first used them.

James

First time I tried a BGO the image snapped into focus. Pity Baader are phasing them out.

First time I tried a BGO the image snapped into focus. Pity Baader are phasing them out.

I keep thinking that maybe I should snap up a couple of BGO's before they become scarce to find out what all the fuss is about. I've never heard a bad word said about them. :rolleyes:

I have had no disappointments, and have actually exchanged a Meade 14mm UWA (great EP, even in an F/4.2 scope) with a 12mm Nagler T4 (also a great EP). The only reason for this was eye relief (14mm vs 17mm). Comfort is really the main issue separating the two (and only for people who need to wear glasses). I tend to abide by the rule that I only replace a piece of kit if I see its limitations, and there is something better out there that I find worthwhile. If you buy things on that basis you avoid disappointment.

I keep thinking that maybe I should snap up a couple of BGO's before they become scarce to find out what all the fuss is about. I've never heard a bad word said about them. :rolleyes:

They already seem to be scarce :)

James

They replaced BGOs with BCOs which seem to get a good press.

Though since the BCOs appear to be made of unobtanium you might be forgiven for thinking that the good press is being written by Baader's marketing department.

James

Might try to get the 18mm.

How would the 6mm compare to my Meade 5000 5.5mm - too close In FL but would it be better?

I've no idea how they would compare directly, you could always buy and try, and you'd have no problem selling on, you might lose about 30% of the value from buying it new (about £22.50, so you would probably get £52.50 for it). The difference in magnification is about 10x (125x for 6mm and 136.363636363....x for 5.5mm), it's up to you, but if the eye relief doesn't bother you I say go for it :).

Archived