Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Naked Eye DSOs?

Mr Q

It's amazing what you can see at a dark, transparent sky site with just your eyes. Her are a few DSOs Ive' seen this way: M31, Triffid and Lagoon nebulae, the North American nebula, Omega Centauri globular, M13 in Hercules, several open clusters including the Beehive (M44). But the most amazing observation was when I lived in the high desert in New Mexico (7500 feet elevation). I got to see shadows of my legs on the light tan colored ground from the Cygnus and Scutum star clouds of the milky way. :shocked:

So what DSOs have you been able to see with the un-aided eye?

If you are thinking none, the next time you are at a dark sky site, try looking for some - you may be surprised to see some :laugh:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only ever seen the pleiades and andromeda with the naked eye.

The pleiades hold up surprisingly well with thin cloud.

+1

Seen Andromeda and the Pleiades as well, and, if I'm not wrong, the Beehive.

I might have - unknowingly - seen more though :)

I'd go with all these from a dark site, what is amazing is the width and shapes to the Milky Way and trying to pick out constellations from the mass of stars. If you can get to somewhere remote, the night sky will amaze by eye, let alone through bins or a scope.

From town on a clear night, M67 ,M37 and M33 can also be seen,

Nick.

The ones above (except M13), plus 47 Tucanae, the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, M22, M24, M33 (very hard, in the desert, years back with younger eyes), Hyades, Mel 111 (in Coma Berenice), Collinder 39 (Melotte 20, or the alpha Persei Cluster), the Coal-sack, M7 (easy-peasy)

From home on a good night I can see the more obvious stuff such as M45, M42, M43 and then fainter objects including M44, M31, M36, M37, M38 as well as the Coathanger and the double cluster in Perseus.

James

I did see M36 with the naked eye when I went to Kitt Peak back in May. I also saw the Omega Centauri globular and also the Beehive Cluster. All very spectacular even without any optical aid.

Congratulations Josh! Nice to hear about another member of the "Omega Club" (unofficial club of course). Isn't it weird seeing a globular almost the size of the full moon? Glad you got to see Omega - most observers can only dream of seeing such a spectacular object, especially naked eye :eek:

From home on a good night I can see the more obvious stuff such as M45, M42, M43 and then fainter objects including M44, M31, M36, M37, M38 as well as the Coathanger and the double cluster in Perseus.

James

..me too..+ M33,which i thought i was seeing so went and got the bins and there it was

globular cluster the size of the moon? I am intrigued! Where is it found and how dark to the skies have to be to see it naked eye?

you'll have to head pretty far south. I've seen both 47 tuc and omega cen naked eye. I was in outback Aust at the time though. Absolutely stunning through a 12".

Scott

globular cluster the size of the moon? I am intrigued! Where is it found and how dark to the skies have to be to see it naked eye?

Sorry, Ant (the other one). You have to be at a latitude of at least 37 degrees or further south to see it on the unobstructed horizon. I was at 35 degrees when living in New Mexico in the desert SW U.S. and saw it near the horizon, which was some 40 miles away, and when I first saw it, I was scanning Centaurus with my 250mm newt on low power and when it slid into view, I thought I would have a heart attack! Looking at where the scope was aimed, I then saw the globular as a somewhat faint ball of "cloud". If I can find a represenative photo of what it looked like on low power, I'll post it here or below.

Ant (the other one), Watch this video and pause it at 30 seconds for what it appeared to me in 10x50s, 36 seconds for a LP view and 40 seconds for a HP view in my 250mm newt. This is as close to what I saw as I can find. My visual limiting mag. at the zenith was about 5.9 and with very little haze at my horizon, about 5.2 mag.

OMEGA

Well Alan, I, like lots of others, have seen photos of the globular and always dreamed of observing it and after some 50+ years of observing, my wish was granted with a temporary move to a location that I could. So all you people out there wishing and dreaming, don't stop! Someday you may be rewarded like I was :laugh:

Archived