Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Io transit of Jupiter, 10/12/12

JamesF

Cracking Image James I was watching the transit with my 80mm refractor until the cold got the better of me. I love the ones showing the GRS which I hope to have a shot at sometime soon.

Nice images James

You've really nailed the focus on them

Thank you. It's a shame the entire set wasn't so well focused, but the seeing was all over the place. I was pleased to have the start and end fairly good though.

James

Really nice pics. What did you use to put the 4 pictures of Jupiter side by side?

I used ImageMagick's "montage" utility. It's probably mostly known as a UNIX/Linux-based image manipulation package, but I think it's available for Windows.

James

Thank you both.

It's just struck me, Io is smaller in diameter than the Atlantic is between, say, the west coast of Ireland and New York. Were it somewhere suitable, you could probably fly all the way around it in a modern passenger jet in a day. And (at the moment) it's six hundred million kilometres away. And we can see it and image a transit with a (relatively) cheap 5" telescope and a webcam. I think that's quite astonishing.

James

Archived