Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three forecasts say it is clear...

GlassWalker

Three forecasts say it is clear... but it seems the clouds didn't get the memo. Ok, it's not that bad out at the moment. Set up my earliest ever and was imaging by 6:30. So far I've got 28 keepers of 2m subs of California nebula, ditching some due to cloud. Depending on the forecast, cloud is supposed to move in later tonight so making the most of it while I can! Wonder if it is worth moving onto 4m subs with H-alpha filter later...

I managed 1 x acceptable 20 min sub on IC1805, having wasted time with a polar alignment that wasn't good enough. The clouds have now rolled in. I'm hoping thet they pass in the next 10 mins, after which I can meridian flip and carry on until morning. Well, there's nothing wrong with a bit of optimism is there?

I went out last night to do some imaging, got all set up, halfway through my first run on Jupiter and the cloud piled in. That's the fourth time this week I'd had cloud wreck everything during or immediately after getting set up on a night forecast to be clear. I had a bit of a sense of humour failure :)

As luck would have it, about half an hour later it cleared up and whilst the seeing wasn't stunning it was ok until I packed in at just gone 2am, so it wasn't all bad.

James

Still grabbing data here... decided to ditch the Ha, and keep at the RGB data capture as I can see the contrast improving as the night goes on. This may be in part from what's left of the sun early on, and also helped by the subject moving higher up in the sky now... so let's grab a ton of subs and see what happens!

It's a stunning night here in s Wales, wish I wasn't so damn tired. Fingers crossed ill get another crack tomorrow, Wednesday onwards not looking too good.

It's a stunning night here in s Wales, wish I wasn't so damn tired. Fingers crossed ill get another crack tomorrow, Wednesday onwards not looking too good.

It certainly is!

I've just come in after 2 lovely hours. The GRS on Jupiter was clear and I managed to find what I think is Vesta. Just need some more clear nights over the next few days to confirm if it is moving...

Argh! Guiding failed some time during the 2 hours I left the kit unattended... BUT as I was using wide field and the polar alignment wasn't totally rubbish, I think the subs are still usable :D Also the battery warning light is showing on my tank, so I'm running without dew control now.

Will call it a night soon, early start at work tomorrow :( By the time I pack up I will have done a personal record of over 100 subs of one subject in one go! Hope it stacks well...

It's clear here in Coventry, but the seeing is poor and the transparency too.

Last night was much sharper and brighter :)

That said, I haven't lost an image yet from 6pm, and as they've all been 30 minutes each I'm pleased with that. I'll take even a murky clear night like this over the clouds of the last few months any day!

Same here, in south wales and it is stunning, but after a tiring day in work and up early tomorrow I dont feel like setting up as too dead feeling. Hopefully it will be clear tomorrow like they say in the evening till the mist comes in at around 23:00 so if I get out about 7:30 ish, I can get a few hours in and view jupiter and the M45.

I havent used my scope for about 7 months due to mostly the weather and other commitments, so I am hoping to get out a few nights over the next few weeks as I off work for 2 weeks so I hope the skies stay clear as I can stay out later due to not having to get up.

It's freezing cold! Lots of frost, but it's been a good sky here in Warrington, with only the odd cloud crossing throughout the night. I think I managed to get M45 OK, but not enough subs. It's gone behind trees now and my lack of knowledge prevents me from lining up on another large sized DSO rising within my limited field of view. All my kit has just been broken down and spread out in the house to dry out - ready for tonight - fingers crossed!

I had a good night too. Lovely and clear from about 7pm. I started imaging at about 11pm because I only wanted one target and it didn't come into view till then. I got over an hour of decent data I think and packed up at about 1.45am. It was pretty cold out but I sat in the kitchen running APT. In fact my 400mm lens was freezing, but the dew control worked well.

I hope it stays like this till Thursday for the geminoids. I saw 3 meteors last night already.

Kudos to Ibbo for sticking with it all night.

Same here. I gave up at midnight due to cold, probably more as a result of the four hours sleep the previous night as a result of being out late than because of the cold itself, but I was happy with that.

James

Archived