NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there truly a correlation between a full moon and clear sky's...

garethmob

Iv been thinking this the last few months because on 3 occasions when there's been a full moon it's been totally clear and I wondered if any one with a weather station could correlate that theory

My weather station has become a little sick lately so I'm unable to take part but has this been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering this the other day. I have had numerous clear nights the last week and a bit as the moon is nearing it's fullest, and also tonight and tomorrow are forecast as clear when it will be a full moon. A few weeks ago, when I wanted to view deepsky objects when the moon wasn't around, it was cloudy. This happened the month before too!

Only if you accept that there's also a link between clear skies and:

• New kit purchases
  • Broken equipment
  • Nights you're at home
  • Nights you're too tired
  • Nights where you have to get up early in the morning
  • Fireworks
  • Neighbours' floodlights

All these things seem to make the clouds go away. In other words, it's just another example of Sod's Law with a hint of confirmation bias!

If there were any kind of tidal effect related to clouds then we'd expect to get it at new Moon as well as full Moon. But I've never heard astronomers comment on the excess of clear skies around new Moon.

When we see the full Moon shining brightly we think of it as a sign of clear sky, but look around that sky and you may well see a lot of cloud that would put you off observing if the Moon weren't there. Completely clear and transparent skies are, I think, as rare during full Moon as at any other time.

Maybe the moon effects the clouds just like it effects the tides?

I doubt it. The mass of the oceans and very large bodies of water do respond to tidal gravity pulls on the Earth but clouds, in comparison, have not enough mass to become the victims of tidal forces.

The relationship between clear skies with a full moon is only coincidental. First the Moon ruins observing, then the clouds so it's only natural to connect the two "bad" things - it;s human nature to look for connections between things in our world, especially bad ones. And don't forget, you have to consider the Moon being out when it's cloudy and can't see it on some nights :rolleyes:

But all of us with our big, massive mirrors...now THAT may be worth thinking about when you are bored and can't observe :eek:

I thought it was quite funny. Just having got home an hour ago an the moon nealy quite high up clear sky's. about 5ish no moon n there was clouds with a few bright stars/Jupiter showing through but as soon as the moon rises all gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first noticed this when I was a kid, in the days of steam. Hardly missed one since in nearly 50 years and wish I knew why this is. I don't want to acknowledge that there seems to be very little chance of clear sky on a New Moon..

But while we're here did ANYONE see, better photograph that amazing halo around the moon last night (30 Nov/1 Dec)?

Unbelievable 30 deg or so bright circle in the haze, with Jupiter slap bang on the ring like a diamond. Could not get it all in frame, or properly exposed. Anything out there?

• 1 year later...

I've been twitching to get back out imaging after our dismal winter here in North West Wales. This week's skies have been clear, but yet again it corresponds to a full-ish Moon. I'm not paranoid am I?

Huw

The 30 degree halo is caused by ice crystals high in the sky. As they are all a similar shape they cause the light from the moon to be refracted at the same angle. So the light that is going away from us at 30 degrees gets refracted back to our position. Which causes the halo effect.

I am sure it would be a better explanation with diagrams and hand-waving...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived