Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Europa transit 29.11.12

knobby

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, could just about make out the shadow before a massive cloud rolled across it and really dimmed the image! Back inside waiting for it to go away now..

Can't see much of anything else tonight because of the moon and crappy LP around here, so I'm hoping to get a nice view of the transit...

I'm using my ED120 refractor and the Pentax XW 5mm for 180x. Very crisp views :smiley:

Edit: It's much harder to see Europa's disk against Jupiters surface now it's transited further across. The shadow is very sharply defined though. I think there is more contrast difference between the moons disk and the surface towards Jupiters limbs as the planetary disk appears darker there so I'm anticipating that the moon itself will be a bit easier to pick out again as it nears the end of it's transit.

Only able to put the 66mm out tonight but have managed to pick them up ok. Quite challenging as I have a very annoying floater just in the wrong place! I can make out a darkish disk transitting, doesn't look as dark as a normal shadow to me though, and I can't see the moon separately, but then I wouldn't expect to pick it up in this scope. Jupiter looks very nice even in this aperture :-)

Both the shadow and the moons disk have left Jupiters disk now (just in the case of Europas disk). I was able to see the moons disk against the Jovian surface for the last phase of the transit - as it neared the giant planets limb, in the same way as it was visible in the initial minutes of the event. The limb darkening effect on Jupiter made Europa's disk stand out whereas for most of the passage across the central area, the moon's brightness must have been a close match for the cloud tops.

Now am I going to stay up to see the Great Red Spot ? :smiley:

I keep my eyepieces a little warmer than the outside temperature. If you don't they can fog from the heat of your eye on cold nights like this.

I went out about an hour ago and saw this dark patch on Jupiter, once I came in and saw this thread I knew what it was so I went back to watching :) First time I've seen the shadow of a transit.

I was expecting the moon to be the main event tonight, a nice suprise for sure.

Tyr

Could see the pin [removed word] at 100 x but next ep is 7mm, found a hole in my ep collection :lol:

Could still make it out but it was clearer with the 12 mm ... Pretty cool though

Just noticed... Love the way the forum profanity filter has removed the word after pin in my op :D

Watched this transit earlier - very nice. Watched the moon go over the limb ok, but lost it afterwards. Shadow very tight and clear. Using a 100mm f13 achro with a 7mm bgo for x185 and Jupiter looked stunning :). Put my 125mm achro out and watched at x160 ish before I came in - pretty much the best views of Jupiter I've seen all year :). Can't feel my fingers any more though; getting pretty nippy out and had to give in - lol.

I keep my eps in my jacket pockets - seems to keep them just enough above ambient to not dew up quickly.

I saw this thread at around 9 and immediately grabbed my grab and go scope to view it.

Two clear nights after months and months of rain. Initially I was quite disappointed it was full moon, but luckily both nights have Galilean moon transit, which is very exciting to watch.

It was a shame I could not cool and set up my C6 in time and had to observed through my 77ED. Last night I was able to see the disk of Ganymede and its shadow against Jupiter with the C6, but I only saw the Europa's shadow tonight with the smaller 77ED. I wasn't able to spot Europa until it was about to finish the transit.

Archived