Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please help!!!!!

Raga

Hi guys.

I'm new here and have spent several hours already (before joining) reading what I can in here and other places about AP. I have been into photography for around 2 years and want to make the leap into AP.

The "general consensus" seems to be that the MOST IMPORTANT thing is a decent mount. I have no experience in telescopes at all other than the few times I have been round at my parents and they have their skywatcher 130 supatrak out.

I was thinking of getting a skywatcher explorer 150p and sitting it on a skywatcher heq5. I have a budget of around £750. Is this a good combo or should I be looking at something else?

I know scopes are a "personal preference" type of thing and yes I will be buying "making every photon count" but any help,tips,advice from ppl who have more experience than me is greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I have NEQ6 and 200p and that works great. So i would think HEQ5 and 150 would be OK, but better men than me can advise as i am a relative newbie. Also bound to be better men than me as I am female LOL

If you could go to NEQ6 its a great mount but if not have heard good reports of HEQ5

Welcone to the darkside :grin:

Velvet

the 150p will be fine on a HEQ5 i have had my 200 PDS on one for a couple of years.as long as you do an accurate polar alignment or drift alignment you should be good for some reasonable length un-guided subs, i was getting 1 minute subs without guiding, but others on here have managed double that. as for un modded camera, it will still be very capable of getting some very good results.

welcome to the "dark side" :evil: of astronomy,astrophotography can be very frustrating, but hugely rewarding

The 150P and HEQ5 will be fine. I use the same scope on an NEQ6 and also have used an unmodded 1000D for a couple of years. I started out with the same scope on an EQ3-2 and got some images that I was quite happy with at the time. If you have a browse through my deep sky gallery, the kit used for each should be listed next to the images so you can see the difference going from an EQ3-2 to an NEQ6 makes. For the 150P, there shouldn't be much difference between NEQ6 and HEQ5. I did try an ordinary EQ5 and it didn't cut it, no better than the EQ3-2 for me.

I'll just chime in and say that the NEQ6 is a better mount in all regards. You might want to consider saving up for one. The risk with the HEQ5 is that it might turn out too weak when you start loading on stuff. You can still do good with the HEQ5 though, if you have a light scope like you plan on getting.

Either way your plan is sound, and your camera is a good work horse.

Let us know how it turns out.

Whilst I'd agree that a good mount is the most important item to start with it really depends what you want to image with. If you're aiming to image with the likes of a C9.25/C11 or are intending to image with a bigger reflector (8" plus) then sure, save up for an EQ6. However, if you're aiming to image with a refractor then the HEQ5 will be absolutely fine. I use an HEQ5 when I image at star parties or go to a dark site and so far it's coped fine with two four inch and one three inch refractor all mounted at the same time. A 150P will be fine on an HEQ5 even if side by side mounted with a guide scope.

Having used a few HEQ5's and EQ6's I find I prefer the HEQ5 slightly but then I haven't yet tried to image with a big reflector :)

James

Thanks for the replys guys. I feel a lot more confident about my choice now.

One other thing, should I save for a little bit longer and get the heq5 syn trek or just get the heq5?

what are the advantages of spending the extra cash? Is it worth it for a beginner or is it better because I'm a newbie??

The HEQ5 will do a good job with your chosen scope, other things to factor in will be the Cannon Adapter, the T-Ring, and for in excess of 30 second multi images some sort of control, either a laptop or a remote control something like this........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-switch-Pentax-RS-60E3/dp/B001C6JYSA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352887660&sr=8-5

Also, the HEQ5 Pro is the version to get, not the standard HEQ5.

Yep - either the Syntrek version or the Pro version. The mounts are identical but the Pro version comes with the Synscan handset and gives full goto functionality whereas the Syntrek version doesn't. (Another choice to make... :rolleyes: )

James

Thanks again guys. Loads of helpful info. Think I might have to save for the heq5 pro. Better to spend the extra £200 ish now than spend £330 for the upgrade in a few months.

@ RikM. U have some "stellar" pics in ur gallery. Hope mine turn out like that when I get started.

when i started i learnt fairly early that its impossiable to start imaging on a budget. i started with my 300d, on a eq2, then moved to a eq3-2 then my kson, and now astrotrac dont forget you can use just your camera and a camera lens for AP you dont nessarary need a scope (but a small one like a spotter might be helpful finding the object you want.) you can also get red dot finders that slide onto the hot shoe for pointing. the first rule is always buy the best mount you can afford. HEQ5 or EQ6 ect will be good. then think about a scope afterwards. with AP you can always "upgrade" so it can get expensive very quickly

the astrophotography bible..... making every photon count...... is a god send and a must read for any person delving into.... the dark side

Archived