Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST - any advice

If you're sticking to visual, you can make use of shorter focal length eyepieces for increased magnification, although I'm not sure exactly how far... I am an imager with PSTs myself, but even that is never as straight forward as it can sound... a motorised equatorial mount can make things a lot easier than trying to chase the sun across the sky too.

The focus knob can be a bit fiddly because it is so small but I use a "precision vegemite lid focus controller" which works a treat. Basically drill a whole in the center of the lid the same size as the focus knob then slip the lid over the knob and it makes focusing much easier.

Thanks to Ken(Merlin66) for that tip.

A black towel or similar cloth to cover your head when viewing helps too. Especially if imaging with a DSLR and focusing without a laptop.

Would also recommend the zoom eyepiece - useful for imaging & viewing. The Skywatcher zoom (and similar) usually have a T-adapter as standard (Hyperion is added extra) .

I use this zoom in my PST when I want some different focal lengths.....

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4651_HR-Planetary-Zoom-Okular-7-2---21-5mm---1-25----7-Elemente.html

..... but my most used ep in it is a TV 11mm Plossl which gives about optimal magnification most of the time. The eye relief is tight but it gives a nice sharp image. I sometimes use a 9mm BGO but this is often a little too high so doesn't gain any more detail.

I either use mine on an L bracket attached to my Giro mount, or on a manfrotto head (701hdv) on Berlebach tripod which works nicely. That said, one of the simple tracking alt/as mounts would work very well, keeps the sun in view without having to reposition constantly.

Cheers

Stu

The focus knob can be a bit fiddly because it is so small but I use a "precision vegemite lid focus controller" which works a treat. Basically drill a whole in the center of the lid the same size as the focus knob then slip the lid over the knob and it makes focusing much easier.

Or, if you don't like Marmite, a simple clothes peg attached to the focus controller also works well!

I use a "precision vegemite lid focus controller"

Hilarious Jarrod - but a very good tip nonetheless :)

I also use the Baader Mk2 zoom which I have found very good in both Lunt and PST scopes. And a decent 12mm eyepiece also works very well. Yeas the PST focusing is a tad iffy - lock it off and using the zoom gives very satisfactory results (for me at least). Hth :)

Archived