Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice quality 12mm 82 degree or so

I’m actually very happy with the way my 30mm MoonFish EP Barlows, so I’m reluctant to spend much on a 15mm or so, but I do need a highish power EP so I was thinking of an 82 degree 12mm so I can also Barlow to 6mm for planetary etc, but I can’t find any.

Budget is up to £150.

Nearest Nirvana is 16mm, too close to my barlowed MoonFish. Granted it would be a better image, but £145 better? I doubt it.

Panorama, nearest FL is 15mm, same reason (excuse? :) ) as above.

Meade 5000, nearest FL is 14mm, so is the same too?

Are there no decent 12mm Eyepieces? lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the Moonfish 15mm 2" or a clone ?

Opticstar do them under the Ascension brand:

http://www.opticstar...?p=0_10_5_1_1_0

They would not be my choice in an F/6 scope but you seem happy with the Moonfish 30mm so they might be to your liking. The cost is certainly low enough :smiley:

I'd actually agree with Damo though - the Nagler T6 13mm is a superb eyepiece :grin:

The Meade 5000 14mm is the front runner at the mo. It'd save me barlowing the 30mm moonfish and give me a quality 7mm to boot. I only bought the moonfish as a finder, its surprisingly good for the price.

Not a bad price either, the Meade

I own a few Meade 5000 UWA 82 degree. To be honest theres not a lot of EP's that beat them on price performance ratio's. I use them in my f5 Newt.. pure snap in and contrast are second to none.

The Meade 5000 14mm UWA is by far the best EP I've ever owned!. I've had a Pentax XL, nice ep..but over priced. Baader Hyperion is an expensive BST ep!.

Do not hesitate. If you have the chance (and budget) go grab the 5000 14mm. You will not be sorry!

Rob

Don't forget the Explore Scientific 82 Series 11mm. As close as you'll get to 12mm without buying a T4 Nagler. Same eyepiece as Meade 5000 UWA but with a few improvements too. And the price is not too bad in the UK and better still in the US if you know someone out there.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore_Scientific_11_mm_82__water_proofed.html

I have this eyepiece myself, its my workhorse eyepiece. You get all the benefits of the Meade but all wrapped up in a nicer body and nitrogen purged.

Don't forget the Explore Scientific 82 Series 11mm. As close as you'll get to 12mm without buying a T4 Nagler. Same eyepiece as Meade 5000 UWA but with a few improvements too. And the price is not too bad in the UK and better still in the US if you know someone out there.

http://www.telescope...er_proofed.html

I have this eyepiece myself, its my workhorse eyepiece. You get all the benefits of the Meade but all wrapped up in a nicer body and nitrogen purged.

Thanks Fred, I've certainly considered the ES82 range, but read, as you point out, that the Meade is pretty much the same, so I figured I'd got for the cheaper of the 2 as I appear to have missed Telescope House's offer a couple of weeks ago.

I do know someone in the states, as it happens, but I'd be concerned over the costs of receiving a faulty product, as the sales contract would be with her, not me, so any shipping costs would be my liability. That and also import charges and tax would make it cost about the same as a brand new UK sourced Meade 5000.

it's 'only' 68 degrees but what about a used 15mm Panoptic?

No to be honest, but would it represent better value than an 82 degree Meade or ES? I'm not a stickler for perfect views, as you can see from my EP collection, it's the UWA I'm more interested in to be fair so I don't have to keep nudging my undriven Dob at higher mags.

Thanks Fred, I've certainly considered the ES82 range, but read, as you point out, that the Meade is pretty much the same, so I figured I'd got for the cheaper of the 2 as I appear to have missed Telescope House's offer a couple of weeks ago.

I do know someone in the states, as it happens, but I'd be concerned over the costs of receiving a faulty product, as the sales contract would be with her, not me, so any shipping costs would be my liability. That and also import charges and tax would make it cost about the same as a brand new UK sourced Meade 5000.

Completely understand, be silly not to make the best of the great prices on the Meade 14mm.

No to be honest, but would it represent better value than an 82 degree Meade or ES? I'm not a stickler for perfect views, as you can see from my EP collection, it's the UWA I'm more interested in to be fair so I don't have to keep nudging my undriven Dob at higher mags.

Trouble is, if the outer parts of your 82 degree field of view are blurred from astigmatism, you will have to nudge just as much to keep your object in the sharp part of the field of view. With the Panoptic at least the whole 68 degrees field will be sharp. With many 82 degree eyepieces in fastish scopes the sharply defined field of view is somewhat less than that.

Trouble is, if the outer parts of your 82 degree field of view are blurred from astigmatism, you will have to nudge just as much to keep your object in the sharp part of the field of view. With the Panoptic at least the whole 68 degrees field will be sharp. With many 82 degree eyepieces in fastish scopes the sharply defined field of view is somewhat less than that.

Hi John, I agree for the most part, but with the Meade or ES I'd say it's more coma than astigmatism at F6; it's possibly the other way round on an F5. Admittedly at the very edge you probably get a nasty mixture of both unless you get to Nagler quality, but my point is I'd get the same coma even with a Panoptic which would knock the perfectly sharp area of that down to say 55-60 degrees.

I expect the Meade to be a lot better corrected than the MoonFish, which holds up surprisingly well in regards to astigmatism until the very edge (the coma is noticable first), so I stand by my comment in that the 82 degree Meade offers better value than a 68 degree pan :)

Pros and cons to both, I'd say :)

Archived