Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice quality 12mm 82 degree or so

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes - It sounds to me that they might have sent you a customer return. You could also think of keeping it and going for a bit of bargaining with them for some discount as per used item - unless you want a totally mint one of course!

andrew

I once had that happen with a laptop from Ebuyer. It had literally been slung back in the box by the returning customer, i don't think Ebuyer even checked. But it all turned out all right in the end. I think most retailers just want an easy life and keen not to cause any trouble for themselves. Glad it worked out okay in the end, just a shame you had a blip.

Congratulations on your new Meade - I'm sure TH will sort out the issues quickly :smiley:

I've never used a BST Explorer or a Meade but I've read all the glowing reports on here about the BST's so I'm interested that there is such a noticeable performance difference between it and the Meade. I thought there would be something, don't get me wrong, but usually the differences between decent eyepieces are quite subtle.

What does the Meade do much better than the BST out of interest, apart from the wider field of view ?

The BSTs are fantastic for the price, there's no denying that. I'm one of their biggest fans, but the extra fov and the sharpness, my word, the sharpness of the Meade was just undeniable. The quality just shone through.

On axis there wasn't much in it but off axis there was no contest. The meade was just outstanding being sharp all the way to the edge with only the expected coma at the very edge of what I could see. The eyerelief was better on the BST tho, I can comfortablely see the field stop. I can't see the field stop at all on the Meade with the top fully unscrewed. The whole view is sharp, fantastic.

Not a review by any means but my first impression was great.

It does cost around 2.5x the cost of a BST tho, so is it worth it? To me, yes, I just love the sharp wide field view, but for colour and contrast there wasn't much in it. I can still see why people love BSTs and for their price I still find them great value.

That sounds great :smiley:

The eye relief does seem to suffer a bit with most ultra wide angle eyepieces though compared with their wide angle equivalents - seems to be the price you pay for that additional field of view.

Indeed, I don't ware glasses tho, so it wasn't much of an issue, but worth noting.

One thing that did jump out at me tho was that I always thought most of the edge distortion on the BST was coma. Using the Meade made me realise it clearly wasn't, it was astigmatism; the Meade was superbly corrected. That's not to put the BSTs down in any way, I stand by my previous comments that they're the best sub £50 EPs you can get but the difference, IMHO, were none to subtle.

I've definately got the HQ UWA bug lol :(

Coma causes star images to flare outward from the centre of the field of view rather like mini comets wheras astigmatism elongates star images around the field of view - rather like tiny seagulls.

There must be some intermediate quality eyepieces where you can see both aberrations at work I guess !.

OK, I've now had it pretty much agreed that I can loan a 15mm MoonFish and a 15mm BST to compare against the Meade for a 3-way shootout.

The Meade would win on quality one would assume, but I think this may get interesting what you factor in cost (MoonFish £59, BST £47).

I'll keep you posted...

OK, I've now had it pretty much agreed that I can loan a 15mm MoonFish and a 15mm BST to compare against the Meade for a 3-way shootout.

The Meade would win on quality one would assume, but I think this may get interesting what you factor in cost (MoonFish £59, BST £47).

I'll keep you posted...

I'll look forward to the results :smiley:

I always find it so difficult to put a "value" on better optical performance in this game though. An eyepiece that costs 10x as much as another of the same spec is never 10x better in performance terms (whatever that might mean !).

As you spend more time in the hobby you find yourself trying to wring out every oz of performance that you, your equipment and the conditions will allow, trying to detect objects and features on the edge of what is possible. This might explain why we are prepared to pay proportionately large sums for small performance gains - on the basis that every little helps !

They've agreed to exchange.

I'm happy with that, I wasn't after anything else but an unused, unblemished eyepiece.

Got new one today and it's perfect :D

The twist barrel seems a little looser than the first one, but maybe that one was a touch stiff. Optics look perfect.

Thanks again to TH if you're reading this and sorry for being a pain lol

Archived