NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not too bad for a beginner scope! Jupiter redone from 2nd Nov.

DBushell

Tough job manual tracking well done! Have you used castrator to crop and centre your videos for stacking? Virtual Dub is another good video editing tool to remove any frames where the planet has drifted off screen. Try and capture 4-5 mins of video.

Will try doing more than 1000 frames next time, and will take a look at Castrator. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Even with my relatively small aperture scope I'm in awe that you can actually produce a photo of the planet with the bands!

I can't wait to get out there again!

I use PIPP rather than Castrator, but they do much the same thing I think.

I reckon you could probably push the gain setting up a bit, too, but I admit I'm not at all experienced when it comes to planetary imaging with a short focal length scope.

Did you do an RGB alignment in Registax?

James

Hi James,

No I didn't do the RGB alignment. I thought that was when you record in 3 seperate colour channels and then aligned them? Does that work on an avi that is already all three colours?

Will try that tonight - and will check out PIPP and try higher gain next time I'm out freezing my bits off!

It works on a colour image, yes. When you're actually doing the imaging, the atmosphere refracts the light from the planet and shifts the red and the blue ends of the spectrum away from each other. Once you get to the the wavelets section of Registax it allows you to realign those. Basically it splits the colours into their RGB components and realigns them. Often it's only by a couple of pixels or so, but it can make quite a noticeable difference. If you look at the image closely and find that it's rather blue on one side and excessively red on the opposite side, that's often the cause.

James

It works on a colour image, yes. When you're actually doing the imaging, the atmosphere refracts the light from the planet and shifts the red and the blue ends of the spectrum away from each other. Once you get to the the wavelets section of Registax it allows you to realign those. Basically it splits the colours into their RGB components and realigns them. Often it's only by a couple of pixels or so, but it can make quite a noticeable difference. If you look at the image closely and find that it's rather blue on one side and excessively red on the opposite side, that's often the cause.

James

Ah so thats how that works! I was wondering!

Will try that tonight and will post back the results! Hopefully we can eek a bit more detail from doing that!

Thanks for your help

David.

Really good images you've got there. I have this scope too and your pics are loads better than what I captured last winter with my modded x-box camera.

I'm just waiting for a webcams to come that has the same ccd as your Phillips SPC so looking forward to finally getting some decent pics.

You mentioned focusing, we'll another guy on this site made an electric focuser for our scope using a servo and some parts from Maplins. I'm going to do this mod myself. Here is the link if it works:

Radders

Thanks, I'm not sure I've reached the limit of the scope yet, just need some more clear skies.

I forgot to add that on my website I have used basically the same equipment as you (just the SW 'scope instead) so you could use that as a small comparison. I am still sure I could do better though but just need the conditions :)

Archived