Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looks like I may be ill. I think I'm turning green.

JamesF

Dodging the clouds last night I took a quick opportunity to test-drive my new (to me) 5mm Type 6 Nagler in the 10" dob. I found Jupiter with the Telrad and 27mm Panoptic and it looked gorgeous enough just like that. Then I swapped to the Nagler and, oh, wow, what a stunning view. I've never seen Jupiter in such detail visually and the wide field of view gave me so much time to concentrate on it. I fell in love with it right there and then.

As Orion had cleared the horizon I thought I'd have a quick peek at M42/M43 with the Pan for the first time. Yet again, more detail and a sharper, cleaner view than I've ever had before. Beautiful.

I really can understand how people get hooked on these now. I can see me picking up a few more in the future if they come up second hand at reasonable prices...

James

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see what these Naglers are all about but sadly they're just way to expensive for me to buy new, and I've never seen a single Naglar on any second hand market in Spain. Thank you for the lovely write up.

Dodging the clouds last night I took a quick opportunity to test-drive my new (to me) 5mm Type 6 Nagler in the 10" dob. I found Jupiter with the Telrad and 27mm Panoptic and it looked gorgeous enough just like that. Then I swapped to the Nagler and, oh, wow, what a stunning view. I've never seen Jupiter in such detail visually and the wide field of view gave me so much time to concentrate on it. I fell in love with it right there and then.

As Orion had cleared the horizon I thought I'd have a quick peek at M42/M43 with the Pan for the first time. Yet again, more detail and a sharper, cleaner view than I've ever had before. Beautiful.

I really can understand how people get hooked on these now. I can see me picking up a few more in the future if they come up second hand at reasonable prices...

James

if you have a UHC, put that in the 27m Pan and say wow when looking at M42.

I don't, but I shall consider getting one when I next order things. No idea when that will be, mind. My wife has had to spend at least a couple of second-hand Naglers having a crown fitted on one of her teeth today and she's been told she really needs another one fairly soon :(

James

Moonshane

was it you that previously said that M42 was the only object that when you showed it to someone looking for the first time was worthy of saying 'Behold'. That cracked me up.Fab. Thoroughly agree though. Its beautiful in any scope. But increases in magnificence with aperture

Barry

I'm not sure the ST80 would be up to it. Some of those Tele Vue eyepieces probably weigh more than the ST80 :)

I'd agree with Shane though. You'd have to go with a long-ish focal length one and enjoy the wide views. The ST80 is no real fun to use at high magnification because of the CA.

James

Moonshane

was it you that previously said that M42 was the only object that when you showed it to someone looking for the first time was worthy of saying 'Behold'. That cracked me up.Fab. Thoroughly agree though. Its beautiful in any scope. But increases in magnificence with aperture

Barry

ha ha yep that was me. it's awesome in the big dob, even from home.

Excellent. Behold is a word rarely used nowadays. Rightly so. But when I saw M42 through the 6" i exclaimed wow! When I looked though the 10" I said WOW! When I looked through the 16" I said XXXXXX XXX

PS Dont try to work it out, It's just expressive

was it you that previously said that M42 was the only object that when you showed it to someone looking for the first time was worthy of saying 'Behold'.

If we stick to the Messier catalogue I'd say there's about half a dozen like that, especially when you start to get up to larger apertures. The first time i saw M13 with the 10" dob my eyeballs almost popped out and I can't wait to get around to some of the ones around Sagittarius, Scorpio and Scutum next summer.

James

Would putting a televue in a ST80 be like sticking pins in an Al Nagler voodoo doll? :-) I don't think your suggested EP will work Shane as the ST80 only takes 1.25" EPs.

24mm Panoptic, perhaps?

James

Deal! My hyperion 24mm is comparable and well used in my mak, but sadly useless in the ST80. I was only half tongue in cheek - to get a good wide field view with an ST80 I think you have to get a good EP. Well, I can dream...

Green and Black? Don't they make chocolate? Mmmm...chocolate :grin:

Seriously, is eypiece fever next to aperture fever as a wrecker of bank balances? I've been lusting after one or two (Or three or four....) Radians for planatary work with my 8" Newt when it's up and running.

I went Green & Black over 10 years ago (as soon as I could afford them basically) and now that is all that is in my EP case. Prefer them to Pentax but as with many things at this quality, differences are marginal and personal preference dominates.

I use a 35mm Panoptic (amazing EP) with my f/6.2 APM TMB 105 and it gives me a wonderful 3.4 degree field with pinpoint stars all the way to the edge.

Archived