Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

Heres an image from the 1000D sensor.  Where I removed the errant blob of resin and pushed it back in line with the rest, it crept back onto the imaging area a bit overnight. 

This is just a standard L jpeg image saved to SD card and downloaded to the PC then contrast increased and resized in Photoshop.

post-13131-0-86616400-1399630935_thumb.j

I've ordered some 1mL syringes Amazon Prime due for delivery tomorrow - enough to keep me going forever :D  Cheap enough to use and throw away @ just over 10p each :)

Put the 1100D sensor back in a working camera and took a photo.  Sensor still working, at least at ambient temperature.  Now I need to find my IPA and clean it up ready for debayering.  This photo is without any filters in front of the sensor.

post-13131-0-09820400-1399658846_thumb.j

The 450D I bought from ebay auctions as not working came this afternoon and is working fine now I've put a battery in it.  It is body plus IS zoom lens :)

could you not apply the resin in 4 stages, 1 stage for each edge, and angle the sensor slightly so each stage is using gravity to keep the resin away from the sensor?

The way to go is to apply the resin with a syringe and keep it at bay with a sensor swab (with microfiber) until the epoxy stops flowing into the sensor. The resin will stop moving in 10-15 minutes after it has been applied). Then clean the sensor with isopropanol. Any residue on the sensor will go  away during the debayering procedure.

Edited by pixueto

TBH I would be afraid to use a sensor swab so close to the gold wires :eek:   I think I'll just apply enough resin to reach the sensor itself and cover the gold wires and maybe when that's set go round adding a tiny amount of resin to cover the blue border.

The 1mL syringes came this morning :)  They look just the job - long and thin and should provide much better control than the 2mL syringes I have which are much thicker and shorter.

I was trying the sensor out last night under the stars but I was getting quite a lot of noise. I took some shortcuts when putting the camera back together (i.e. not connecting all the cables or using all the screws) but I didn't think that would have caused any issues.

So, I'm wondering if anyone that's been debayering sensors has noticed any excessive noise and if there was a simple fix?

I was trying the sensor out last night under the stars but I was getting quite a lot of noise. I took some shortcuts when putting the camera back together (i.e. not connecting all the cables or using all the screws) but I didn't think that would have caused any issues.

So, I'm wondering if anyone that's been debayering sensors has noticed any excessive noise and if there was a simple fix?

Is that random noise or interference patterns?

Edited by Gina

Hi guys

Got my debayered 1100d today - have posted a quick daytime comparison in the 'cameras' section if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Louise

Would it be possible to have a look at a flat frame?

Would it be possible to have a look at a flat frame?

Hi

Yeah - one day! I really don't have time to do anything much with it at the moment. It will almost certainly have imperfections though. It's a darn shame Canon don't produce some of them without CFAs in the first place!

Louise

Is that random noise or interference patterns?

Here's 3 raw files from last night:

2min sub with IDAS LPS filter

10min sub with Baader 7nm Ha filter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4a4zle5vczla14/7nm_Ha_ISO400_600s__16C.CR2

20min sub with Baader 7nm Ha filter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oro22i7800mcul4/7nm_Ha_ISO400_1200s__15C.CR2

Hi

Yeah - one day! I really don't have time to do anything much with it at the moment. It will almost certainly have imperfections though. It's a darn shame Canon don't produce some of them without CFAs in the first place!

Louise

They must exist without CFAs somewhere along the production line, no reason they couldn't leave them like it if they're as interested in producing an astro DSLR as they claim to be.

Dave

They must exist without CFAs somewhere along the production line, no reason they couldn't leave them like it if they're as interested in producing an astro DSLR as they claim to be.

Dave

Maybe not - they probably have a very integrated production line. Of course, there wouldn't be a mass demand for them anyway.

Oh well.

Louise

The noise looks like pretty typical thermal noise to me.  I can't see anything I would describe as interference of any kind.

Mark

Thanks Mark. It does look worse than I am used to.  Here's a 10min dark i took before I started attacking the camera. The thermal noise looks a lot lower even accounting for the different ISO setting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b68i9cocvddvj0/D_2013-07-27_04-27-50_4637_ISO100_600s__29C.CR2

Maybe somebody would be so kind as to take a 20min dark at ISO400 from an 1100D and post the RAW file for comparison? :)

• Like 1

Maybe not - they probably have a very integrated production line. Of course, there wouldn't be a mass demand for them anyway.

Oh well.

Louise

Well in the blurb from Canon when they released the 60da, Vice President Mr Yuichi Ishizuka said they [Canon] had, Quote, "A constant desire to produce an astro camera "

Perhaps it lost something in the translation :)

Dave

Well in the blurb from Canon when they released the 60da, Vice President Mr Yuichi Ishizuka said they [Canon] had, Quote, "A constant desire to produce an astro camera "

Perhaps it lost something in the translation :)

Dave

Hmm.. it's a bit like a politician or a salesman telling people what they want to hear... For not much more than the price of a 60da you can buy a ccd with a higher QE. If the 60da was a mono with microlenses it might be worth it!

Louise

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. It does look worse than I am used to.  Here's a 10min dark i took before I started attacking the camera. The thermal noise looks a lot lower even accounting for the different ISO setting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b68i9cocvddvj0/D_2013-07-27_04-27-50_4637_ISO100_600s__29C.CR2

Maybe somebody would be so kind as to take a 20min dark at ISO400 from an 1100D and post the RAW file for comparison? :)

Here's a 20 minute exposure at ISO 400 from a modified Canon 1100D for you...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuq3sbdjrls9he6/IMG_2551.CR2

This was taken with the camera in a camera bag with the cap on...no light leak.

• Like 1

Re the resin creep onto the sensor.  this may be a stupid idea but I thought I'd throw it in for consideration anyway.  Is the flow onto the sensor happening due to capillary action - just like what you rely on when you are staining a microscope slide/coverslip.  If it is then would something as simple as a low tac masking tape help - one of the better quality ones like Frog Tape.  That said don't know how the sensor would be impaired by the low tac glue on the tape - hopefully it would clean off.  Like I said maybe a stupid idea.