NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Planetary Objects to View

BenConway

Best Planetary Objects to View  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which are the best planetary objects to view?

• Moon
    • Mercury
    • Venus
    • Mars
    • Saturn
    • Jupiter
    • Neptune
    • Uranus
    • Dwarf Planets
    • Astroids and Comets

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jupiter for its relative accessibility coupled with an equal meaure of a challenge depending on the seeing conditions. Saturn is a favourite too, for similar reasons. The moon a good third for me. This may sound silly but, it is always there so I tend to take it a bit for granted, although to see it through the scope, is pretty spectacular.

Scott :)

I'd have to go with Saturn and the Moon. Saturn was the first real planet that I saw through an old 10x50 spotting scope. No real detail just a 'disc with ears', but it was enough to get me hooked. Half a dozen years later and I have a scope that I can really start to see stuff with. The moon because you can see so much detail - craters within craters, walls, mountains, valleys. So easily overlooked in the chase for 'better' objects and because it is so familiar, but it very rarely disappoints.

It's interesting to view the results of the poll with Jupiter way out ahead. I would have expected a neck and neck race between it and Saturn. I wonder if the result would be the same in a few months when Saturn is easily viewable. As a matter of interest I cast my vote for Jupiter.

saturn 4 me - although its gone for years i hear (or very low in the sky )

Saturn will next be at opposition on April 28, 2013, like all the planets its path will be the plane of the ecliptic. It will be visible all night long, being highest in the sky at midnight and magnitude 0.7. SOOOOO lokking forward to it.

My personal favourite Astronomical body to look at is Saturn since it was the 1st thing I ever saw through my 1st major telescope I seen it when I was 9 and I remember being hooked on the rings and I was treated with Titan Enceladus and Rhea being in view amazing experience that was I would love to see Saturn through a Telescope again one day, well since Winter is just around the corner I can guarantee that I will be using my telescope or my new set of Binoculars so watch this space :rolleyes:

Archived