Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bubble to Cave Nebula Mosaic

Tom OD

Hi SGL,

Its been a while since I popped in and posted. This is a 68 hour 4 pane FSQ106N and Atik 11000 mosaic. I started this last year and finished it in Aug. Difficult to process with so much going on and no background sky. Balancing the colour in the frames, and stitching them was tricky. Its 4:4:3:3:3 hours LHaRGB per frame. There are lots of objects in here that I have yet to figure out what their names are. My favourite parts are the "Claw" and the "Jackal" as I like to call it.

Link here:

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Tom.

post-4679-0-16163800-1349916134_thumb.jp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone,

Cheers for the map Martin. I see the Jackal as I call it, is just above vdB155. Lots of exotically named objects in there. Never heard of the "King" catalogue or objects. I thought I had finally found the Coat-hanger. There is a similar asterism at the bottom of the screen just right of center. Olly put me right when I suggested that I had snapped it by fluke. Looks nice there is a nice string of cluster and whatever CTB 1 is just out of view on the left of the map.

Yes Flickr doesn't look great. It sharpens the images too, so they look a bit weird to me. Maybe I can post a bigger version on Ollys Smugmug.

T.

Thanks everyone,

Yes Flickr doesn't look great. It sharpens the images too, so they look a bit weird to me. Maybe I can post a bigger version on Ollys Smugmug.

T.

It would, as ever, be a great honour! This CTB1 certainly needs more attention from the imagers.

Olly

Nice CBT 1 pic Martin, yes it has to go on the list. looks like I can see a face in it, like a cartoon cloud. I should lay off the coffee first thing in the morning.

As for the stitching, and /or colour balance, I have not figured out the best way to process images that have no background. I re-did Colour Calibration numerous times in PixInsight to see how close I could get all 4 frames.Playing about with the stars is also trickier too,when they are embedded in dust. Still its worth the trade off to have the pic chock full of fuzzies, dusties, etc..

Simply incredible, you feel if Monet was alive today he would simply love deep space imaging. Makes you wonder why people spend huge bucks on tat like Tracey Emin (my opinion of course) when they could be hanging works of art like this on their walls.

Simply incredible, you feel if Monet was alive today he would simply love deep space imaging. Makes you wonder why people spend huge bucks on tat like Tracey Emin (my opinion of course) when they could be hanging works of art like this on their walls.

Dead right but don't get me started! I'm married to an artist, my parents were artists, but whatever Ms Emin is she isn't an artist and Tom most certainly is!

Olly

Archived