Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 10x50 Binocular Special Offer, Advice Needed.

Rihard

Hi all,

I found an offer on Meade 10x50 Binos here.

I've been investigating on purchasing a few extras (new finder, filters, binos, eyepieces)

and these binos are well priced, so I need some expert's advice (again sorry!) .

The brand and pricing looks very good but

1) I don't know much about binos

2) I don't know that seller (did anyone tried it before? )

3) I don't know if this is a reliable gear at that price (any tip on these ? )

Despite I'm not looking for supermarket-level stuff, I'm not even looking for top of the range equipment, I can live with "budget" equipment that just does the job without special requirements.

And if any of you recommends them and their seller I will be happy to place and order for that little price.

Cheers :alien:

Clear Skies

My wife bought me a pair of these for bidding about 5 years ago. Still going strong after all that time.

She used telescope house and had no problems with them at all.

I believe these are the same as the Bresser bins that Lidl sometimes sell for £20 odd, just branded differently.

They are excellent bins all round.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Hi TziuRiky,

I have a pair of these Meade 10x50's and for the price have been fine and are usually the first observing aid I grab at night and have proven great for wide angle views of the constellations and helping me to see constellations and clusters through the light pollution we have here. I have set up mine on a firm tripod and red dot finder as they will get heavy holding by hand after a while. Using a tripod holds the bino's steady enough to see fainter stars etc. than would normally be the case. The only issue I have come across is the 'kidney beaning' effect which might be more down to my poor eyes than these relatively wide field bino's. I'm sure I will 'move on' to better binoculars sometime in the future but as a start these are fine.

If you are interested in learning more about binoculars I would advise getting hold of a copy of 'Binocular Astronomy' by Stephen Tonkin which includes chapers on choosing binoculars and evaluating them as well as 50 objects to view with 50mm bino's and another 50 with 100mm ones.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Steve

+1 for the Meade bins. I've used this model before so can vouch for them They are very good value for the price and will last for years. I've also used TH before and am very happy with the quality of goods and levels of service the supplier provides.

OK for the price (which is hardly "super-low sale price"), but you can get them off the shelf cheaper with different branding (e.g. http://www.strathspe...hp?q=1118253053 ). Or wait until Lidl do them again (usually twice a year), branded "Bresser" or "Rocktrail" instead of "Meade"; last time they were £13.99. I used them in bulk (from Strathspey) when I used to run a school astronomy club; I only had one failure (dropped, prism chipped and dislodged; jury-rig repair easy to perform), which is not at all bad.

PS, SteveNickolls, thanks for the plug for my book! :laugh:

OK for the price (which is hardly "super-low sale price"), but you can get them off the shelf cheaper with different branding (e.g. http://www.strathspe...hp?q=1118253053 ). Or wait until Lidl do them again (usually twice a year), branded "Bresser" or "Rocktrail" instead of "Meade"; last time they were £13.99. I used them in bulk (from Strathspey) when I used to run a school astronomy club; I only had one failure (dropped, prism chipped and dislodged; jury-rig repair easy to perform), which is not at all bad.

Thanks everybody for the feedback on this matter. :angel11:

tetenterre very interesting answer :cool2: . I wonder if they have any direct relation with the Pyser 10x50 binos sold by RVO (I already enquired about them here) and with the ones sold by Argos Ireland, they all seem to be mass produced / rebranded stuff. I guess I'm gonna go for the T.H. ones, as in the Rip Off Ireland I was only able to find a similar product in Argos.ie but it will cost me 12 euro more then having them delivered from UK. With that amount I might order a tripod adapter :) Also, local camera shops only have extremely overpriced Nikon / Pentax stuff that I couldn't appreciate / afford, and I can't wait for LIDL or similar offerings :)

Clear Skies :icon_rr:

My absolute pleasure tetenterre, the book is very informative and in fact I was re-reading it again today. :grin: Best wishes for bumper future sales.

Regards,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived