Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Mount Specification, Price & ETA.

FLO

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A client will shortly be installing one of these mounts here on a long term basis and I'm looking forward to seeing it. The alt az option is not particularly relevant to our needs but the encoders and belt primary drive (I think this is right?) should be good. I'll comment as soon as I can. I'm a fan of the NEQ6 (isn't everybody?) because these mounts have seen off all rivals at, or significantly above, their price point. So far as the design goes the changes strike me as being very worthwhile.

Olly

Skywatcher don't include solar alignment on any of their mounts Helen, probably for safety reasons.

Its a shame they can't do the same as Celestron though and make it an option that you have to choose (and is sufficiently awkward to do that you can't do it by accident!). I tried a workaround turn off the secondary encoders, get the RA and Dec of the sun, goto that position, and then take the clutches off and centre the sun. It seemed to work OK :-)

Helen

Steve Richards has finished part-3 of his Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT review where he assesses the performance when used in Alt-Az mode and draws his conclusion. I seriously considered asking him to delay this part of his review because there is a significant firmware upgrade in the pipeline that should noticeably improve the GOTO accuracy in Alt-Az mode. But that probably won't be ready until later this year, possibly early next, and I did promise not to interfere with influence his review  :angel:

SkyWatcher_AZ-EQ6_GT_Mount_3_3.jpg

What planet have I been on?......I wasent even aware of this mount until now ROFL

It isn't only you George. I think some dealers have invested in alternatives so aren't putting a lot of effort into promoting Skywatcher's latest offering. Nevertheless the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT is popular (we have sold several this month, including one this morning) and the feedback from users has been very positive :smiley:

You can't keep a good mount down. Over the last six months sales of the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT have beaten the HEQ5 PRO and NEQ6 PRO :glasses2:

Steve

Dear all,
Having delved extensively into the origins/identity of the 2-pin power connector used on the AZ-EQ6GT (including engaging in long and detailed discussions with a major UK supplier of industrial and military-spec electrical connectors and components) I can report that this connector is NOT of a standard design. It is not MIL-spec nor indeed does it correspond to any other currently catalogued pattern or design, either in the UK or abroad (including China and Japan).

I wanted to make my own power loom for my AZ-EQ6, so needed another 2-pin plug for the mount as I didn't want to alter the supplied lead (should I ever come to sell my AZ_EQ6), hence my quest to source the appropriate part.

So, the ONLY way to acquire these plugs at present is to purchase a replacement power lead. These are now available from Skywatcher dealers for between £15 and £20. Having acquired mine, I'm just pleased to have managed to source what I need, although £18 (in my case) is a lot to pay for a 2-pin plug! (the rest of the lead and the cigar lighter plug being redundant for my purposes. At one point I even considered replacing the socket on the mount with a more generally available connector, but thankfully the replacement cable came to my rescue).
Hope the above helps anyone considering similar work.
Bill

Bill,

Are they not the same as these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PIN-HIGH-QUALITY-MULTI-CONTACT-LINE-SOCKET-/280763265340?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item415ecb713c#ht_754wt_1139

and the socket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PIN-HIGH-QUALITY-MULTI-CONTACT-CHASSIS-PLUG-/300616585262?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item45fe25102e#ht_689wt_1396

I've just seen this mount in the flesh for the first time and might even see it in action within a week or so. It is part of a wider project here.  It looks like a decent bit of kit on the outside. Altogether in different class to the NEQ6, which I know well and like. The gap between the NEQ6 and the much more expensive stuff needed filling and since the rest have tried and failed it rather looks as if SW may have done it themselves. Much better engineering of the visible components. High hopes. (This isn't my mount so no vested interest here.)

Olly

Steve's review is very interesting. In the second part of the review, he mentioned a PE of 7.7 arcsec RMS and 25.4 pk-pk and that was an improvement over a normal EQ6?  That value seems quite high still - that's just under double what I'm seeing on my EQ6 - using PERecorder. 

I could not see any reference to backlash, especially on DEC. I think that was the purpose of switching from gears to belts and it would be really good to know if it performed in this area.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting a mount soon (currently using Astrotrac) and I did have a NEQ6 Pro a couple of years back but sold up, however I'm now in two minds whether to get the basic EQ6 with the goto and just use EQ-Mod again, or to save up and put a little extra down on this mount. Is it really worth it? I don't do visual and only do imaging?

Olly, have you had much chance to use it since you last commented in Sept 13? A worthwhile upgrade over the NEQ6?

Thanks

Phil

Olly, have you had much chance to use it since you last commented in Sept 13? A worthwhile upgrade over the NEQ6?

Probably best to PM him Phil, this thread was started two years ago so he might not be subscribed to it and his focus these days is on more expensive mounts. 

HTH, 

Steve 

No, I still like all things EQ6! The new model I host robotically (but which isn't mine) has yet to get going but that is not down to the mount so much as other bits and bobs that have delayed its début. It might see first light next week, in fact.

Olly

shame skywatcher don't do a syntrek option... i get real fed up at having to pay a premium for items  i have no intention of using... and don't even get me started on why they only do pillars as optional extras.. i dont want a damn handset... i don't want a damn tripod... *glares at skywatcher MD*

rant over  :grin:

shame skywatcher don't do a syntrek option... i get real fed up at having to pay a premium for items  i have no intention of using... and don't even get me started on why they only do pillars as optional extras.. i dont want a damn handset... i don't want a damn tripod... *glares at skywatcher MD*

rant over  :grin:

You can sell either, though. Handsets are not immortal and the tripod is a good upgrade for many mounts. Anyone buying an Avalon might like to buy it as well. It's a direct fit and cheaper.

Olly

Do we have any sign of an 240v/12/ power supply yet?

hi jamie i use this power suply with the az eq6 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

and this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/female-cigarette-to-m8-ring-tongues.html

I could not see any reference to backlash

i have not noticed any backlash and have used it quite a few times since getting it in april this year from flo.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived