SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Mount Specification, Price & ETA.

FLO

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That plug looks like an ITT Canon MIL-DTL-5015 power connector and to source them in the UK will be both difficult and likely expensive. Steve, do you think you can get some from the manufacturer so people could make their own leads or repair those that are damaged...

On 29 November 2012 at 17:26, Earl said:

Steve that new power socket is going to be interesting for people that don't use cigar style power do have you any alternatives or convertors?

On 29 November 2012 at 17:44, J_M_Franklin said:

That plug looks like an ITT Canon MIL-DTL-5015 power connector and to source them in the UK will be both difficult and likely expensive. Steve, do you think you can get some from the manufacturer so people could make their own leads or repair those that are damaged...

We are discussing some new products with Skytron who make most of our cables and adapters. HitecAstro might have some ideas too.

We have a feeling this new mount will be HUGE so we won't be surprised to see an accessory market build around it.

It is unlikely that we will stock mains-DC power supplys. 

HTH,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's incredibly little written about this mount given that you started shiopping in November.

Are they readily available? Have you sold many?

I may be interested in it solely because of the positional encoders - and hopefully it remembers PEC data when switched off. It's performance would have to be just as good as the NEQ6 in EQ mode though for me to be serious.

There's incredibly little written about this mount given that you started shiopping in November.

I think we (all of us) tend to forget the online world of astro forums still comes second to traditional printed media, though that is slowly changing. For the AZ EQ6-GT to truly take off it will need to be reviewed in one of the astro mags (yes, I know, but that is how it is).

We are doing our bit here at SGL. We have just sent one to Steve Richards (steppenwolf) for a long-term, in-depth online review. I'll post more about that soon.

Are they readily available?

Yes, they are here on our shelves for overnight delivery :smiley:

Have you sold many?

Yes, the AZ EQ6-GT is a steady seller (we might be the exception, some dealers have invested in exotic alternatives so might not be as pleased as us to see Skywatcher's new arrival).

HTH,

Steve

One reason why full reviews are so thin on the ground is undoubtedly the appalling weather over the last few months. I have had this mount for going on three weeks and It only got outside to try it this week! Totally happy with mine so far, but haven't had a chance to test in AZ mode yet...I think its really good at this price point though. Looking forward to seeing Steve R's review.

One reason why full reviews are so thin on the ground is undoubtedly the appalling weather over the last few months. I have had this mount for going on three weeks and It only got outside to try it this week! Totally happy with mine so far, but haven't had a chance to test in AZ mode yet...I think its really good at this price point though. Looking forward to seeing Steve R's review.

You dark horse :grin:

I too am having weather problems and so haven't had chance to use mine in the 6 weeks I've had it! Chucky bit of kit though :-) Mine will be going to SGL8 with me (the way things are going it'll be first light!) so if anyone wants some hands on.....

Helen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What planet have I been on?......I wasent even aware of this mount until now ROFL

It isn't only you George. I think some dealers have invested in alternatives so aren't putting a lot of effort into promoting Skywatcher's latest offering. Nevertheless the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT is popular (we have sold several this month, including one this morning) and the feedback from users has been very positive :smiley:

Steve

Maplin sell the 2 way locking power connectors (Order Code: FK22Y) for £2.29.

I used to use them years ago on my Ham Radio gear,

Martyn.

The Maplin FK22Y connector is similar, but larger (I just bought one, and it doesn't fit - never mind, I am sure I will find a use for it somewhere else)

Richard

• 2 months later...

We don't recommend you do that. Better to use a ring-tongues to female cigarette-type socket adapter.

We have some here that are not listed at our website. I'll add them tomorrow but you can also order them from Maplins.

HTH,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

Having delved extensively into the origins/identity of the 2-pin power connector used on the AZ-EQ6GT (including engaging in long and detailed discussions with a major UK supplier of industrial and military-spec electrical connectors and components) I can report that this connector is NOT of a standard design. It is not MIL-spec nor indeed does it correspond to any other currently catalogued pattern or design, either in the UK or abroad (including China and Japan).

I wanted to make my own power loom for my AZ-EQ6, so needed another 2-pin plug for the mount as I didn't want to alter the supplied lead (should I ever come to sell my AZ_EQ6), hence my quest to source the appropriate part.

So, the ONLY way to acquire these plugs at present is to purchase a replacement power lead. These are now available from Skywatcher dealers for between £15 and £20. Having acquired mine, I'm just pleased to have managed to source what I need, although £18 (in my case) is a lot to pay for a 2-pin plug! (the rest of the lead and the cigar lighter plug being redundant for my purposes. At one point I even considered replacing the socket on the mount with a more generally available connector, but thankfully the replacement cable came to my rescue).

Hope the above helps anyone considering similar work.

Bill

The Skwatcher AZ EQ6-GT has proven to be a very successful product. The launch has gone remarkably well with only a few software issues that were quickly resolved with firmware upgrades. We understand they are working on another firmware upgrade that will improve accuracy in Alt-Az mode.

We loaned an AZ EQ6-GT to Steve Richards for a long-term review, part-1 and part-2 of his findings can be found at our website.

SkyWatcher_AZ-EQ6_GT_Mount_2_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived