SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

All Stargazers, report !

From Earth

Hi, This time I will start differently!

I am Product Design student in Glasgow School of Art, currently undertaking an exciting project to all astronomers and star lovers,

like everyone of you are here! I hope you find this project interesting to take a small part in it and make stargazing experience better!

Currently we are at stage where we are trying to understand the fascination for stars and what are those reasons, for everyone personally!

Every aspect of different experiences, different ways of looking at stars is important for us, to create a new product or service that will be dedicated to make stargazing experiences unique and interesting, for every one of you!!!

With this being said, if you find this project exciting and want to help make it work, you can tell us about your experiences and fascination behind stargazing!

What does stars mean to you, personally ?

How does it make you feel and what do you think while exploring space !?

What are the connections you make with the stars !!?

Do you take notes, have a special diary !? Show us some examples !

What is that you are looking in space and stars ?!!

What is your approach to look at stars - scientific, artistic, bounded with mystery etc.?!!

Hope you find time to drop down few answers !

Martin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for replay !

I have read what people are writing on this forum and its the reason why I have posted these questions in new topic,

because I have not found answers Im looking. Iam interested in personal outlooks rather then something else.

Good question. Funny thing is I was thinking the exact same thing about myself just the other day. As ex military I have found myself jumping out of aeroplanes, rock climbing, canoeing, shooting all types of weapons, sailing, etc, the list goes on and on. Yet I have always been fascinated by the stars, good job really because during Gulf War 1 we found ourselves navigationally embarrassed (lack of features in the desert) and used the north star to get us back on right track. Anyway back to the question in hand. I was brought up with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy and since then always had a fascination about the stars, other life forms and the expanse of the universe. Additionally I was also encouraged at an early age by my father too and got my first telescope, a Tasco`s. Since leaving the military I can now settle down and purchase that expensive scope (Celestron Advanced C8 N-GT,eventually) and not have to worry that I will be posted every 3 years with the potential of damaging said expensive goods. I hope this is of help. Best of luck.

Can you explain a little more about the aims of this project apart from it being exciting to all astronomers.

I agree with Michael with respect that the information you are looking for is already here , take a look at the Beginners section for example.

To clarify, this is a research stage in this project and it's development and outcome is dependent on what this research will reveal !!!

As I have said in the topic paragraph, the product/service wil be designed to make stargazing experiences better and more interesting. (just to give you an example, for better understanding, this service/product could be an app, that keeps a track of your discovered stars/planets through whole year, and builds your own unique star map.)

Best of luck ! Thank you !

To make stargazing experience better and more interesting, we need:

1) clearer skies

2) bigger scopes (that's called aperture fever)

3) better eyepieces

4) better imaging kit

5) better software for processing or record keeping

6) loads more time on our hands

Sorry if this sound sarcastic, but I really cannot see in which direction you are trying to look. Are you going to improve optical design, or provide better ergonomics of telescopes, better software?

Not trying to be obstructive, but surely you have a goal in mind that you need this research for, what are you actually trying to achieve, how will me providing you with info make astronomy more exciting. This sounds more like market research and less like scientific research, give me the latter and I'll gladly contribute.

To clarify, this is a research stage in this project and it's development and outcome is dependent on what this research will reveal !!!

As I have said in the topic paragraph, the product/service wil be designed to make stargazing experiences better and more interesting. (just to give you an example, for better understanding, this service/product could be an app, that keeps a track of your discovered stars/planets through whole year, and builds your own unique star map.)

Best of luck ! Thank you !

To be fair, either the OP hasn't got a true idea of what he wants to offer and is hoping that the members here will come up with a concept of a product or service and then claim that as his own... or he has an idea but doesn't want to reveal it for fear of someone doing the same to him.

Normal practice is to conceive an idea for a product or service, research the practicalities and market place (including any current products or services that exist and offer the same - ie your competition ) and then do selective testing of a prototype with friends and family before taking that further to market. As it stands the OP hasn't quantified what the original concept is.... or could be.

the product/service wil be designed to make stargazing experiences better and more interesting.

The only thing that comes to mind is having a busty young glamor model to keep me company in the small ours whilst my rig is running off loads of images.... that would make my astronomy sessions more interesting, especially if the wife found out ! :)

Sorry but I'm completely lost here.

If the student is studying 'product design' then surely an engineering background is a good idea. Why then 'Glasgow School Of Art'?

To learn about why people have a fascination with the night sky, then he needs to read astronomy books and read atronomy forums.

If he is trying to get information for his project then he needs to be asking questions in a specific format in order to gather meaningful data.

The questions are very general. The replies potentially as wide as this forum's topics.

All told, a badly thought out question.

This does seem a bit vague but an App that can be used to log which Messiers, NGC's (including image and info) etc, so that I can keep a record of which objects I have viewed, imaged might be useful. Would save writing it all down. Something where I can tick them off and keep track.....I'd certainly take a look, assuming it was free, lol.

Nothing to do with me but they don't seem to be the kindest replies. Maybe ideas and help will then bring on more detailed questions and directions of conversation. I wud be gutted if I asked a question and got such and unfriendly response. Maybe I have read this thread wrong ???

I must admit I thought the same hence my reply. It would be nice to have more detail though...I can't see what significance it makes why I like stargazing or what I look at. If it's a case of....

we are looking at creating an App for the iPad/iPhone/ android that could be of use to Astronomers but we would like to do some research in order to see in which direction we take it.......then I'm sure it would get a better response ( not that everybody uses them).

Like I said..... Some way of keeping a record of my viewing, imaging would be useful. Tie that in with info and an image of each DSO, planet etc and it might get some responses.

Archived