hi, i´m moving to scotland

greenthumb

hi i am ivan from the Canary Islands. This winter and spring I'll be in Scotland and I am considering carrying my telescope, is a c8. I doubt arises about the weather there, as I've heard it's very cloudy and rainy and I do not know if there will be many opportunities to observe the night sky during the winter to make it worth the effort to take it there.

regards

Ivan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be living in the fife area 10 miles from St. Andrews. but my question is about the number of nights you can use the telescope and whether it is worth the effort to take it from the Canary Islands to Scotland.

I apologize for my English, is probably not entirely correct

Ivan

Welcome to SGL Ivan,

The weather can be a hit or a miss but that can be said for anywhere in the UK, the one advantage is the hours of darkness in the winter here so there will be more chance of it dark AND clear :)

Im a bit further south than St Andrews so I cant comment on dark sites where you will be but if you have a car you can travel around to get darker skies.

Check out the Central Scotland Observers Group (google CSOG) we have a couple of members in St Andrews area, they may be able to help you with locations to use your scope.

Hope this helps.

Lorne.

Hello Ivan,

East coast Scotland has better (dryer) weather than the west - due to the prevailing wind.

If I were to move back to Scotland and was choosing somewhere to live and do astronomy, around St. Andrews would be one of my choices.

Although light pollution to the north (Dundee) is bad - other aspects are good, and looking east there is nothing until Denmark.

The University used to have a good astronomy club, and the uni has an observatory with a number of telescopes (including the 0.94m James Gregory, which is I think the biggest in the UK (certainly professional in-use telescope)).

So, i would say definitely - if you can, do bring your scope.

Callum

Thank you all again. really be a big change in the weather.

Hi Ivan and welcome

Don't forget moving north will take you a lot closer to the Northern Lights - if it stays clear that is!!

my girlfriend is very interested in the Northern Lights, me too. had seen on the internet that could be seen in the north of Scotland but it was a rare phenomenon, so I was a little disappointed. if anyone in the area to comment on the frequency they are and if they are as spectacular as in Greenland for example.

Greetings and clear skies

Ivan

Archived