Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

About the 200P

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have trees in the back garden so like to raise my Dob to get that extra bit of height. I also find I prefer to stand to view as well. A standard water but stand fits the 200p perfectly and can also be used to carry things when going out to view. It is designed to hold a full but of water so the scope is perfectly safe. I tend to use the stand upside down as the base is a perfect fit within the rim but it works either way.

Sorry to sound daft! How did you attach the 'scope to the pot?

Sorry to sound daft! How did you attach the 'scope to the pot?

No need to attach it - it just sits on it. As it is designed to hold a full water but it is very rigid and holds it perfectly. Using it upside down it sits in a rim which is about an inch deep so it ain't going nowhere! Using it the right way up you just need to place it so the feet are on a flat bit as there are grooves. It is simple to do. As it is made of plastic it is very light as well and can sit outside all year.

No need to attach it - it just sits on it. As it is designed to hold a full water but it is very rigid and holds it perfectly. Using it upside down it sits in a rim which is about an inch deep so it ain't going nowhere! Using it the right way up you just need to place it so the feet are on a flat bit as there are grooves. It is simple to do. As it is made of plastic it is very light as well and can sit outside all year.

That's a brilliant idea! Better for the back, I imagine!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pick one up.

Tom.

Last night I went outside for would is probably the last night out I'll have with my Mercury707. (It will still be kept close at hand for solar observing though!)

I saw M103 and the double cluster. Both were stunning.

Now eventually I'm going to want some new EP's. The 15mm BST has already been recommended but would I need a different EP to see the Veil and North American Nebulas?

Hi Ganymede,

Nice choice of scope. Congratulations!

I was v close to getting the dob myself, but as I like to do webcam imaging I went with the EQ5 mount - either way the scopes are almost identical.

For v faint stuff like nebulas, especially the thin, spread out ones like the two you mention. For those kind of DSO's you'll probably need some decent filters and very dark skies (no light pollution) but there are still many other deep sky objects to check out with the large aperture of the 200p - Globular clusters are a good example, and the brighter nebulas like Ring nebula (M57) in Lyra. and the view of Jupiter will blow you away!

All the best

Aenima

Last night I went outside for would is probably the last night out I'll have with my Mercury707. (It will still be kept close at hand for solar observing though!)

I saw M103 and the double cluster. Both were stunning.

Now eventually I'm going to want some new EP's. The 15mm BST has already been recommended but would I need a different EP to see the Veil and North American Nebulas?

You can spend a little time thinking about EPs certainly, a 32mm Plossl will stand you in good stead though for finding the fuzzies, and can probably be bought for about £20 second hand. They can get rather expensive rather quickly, so it would be great to work out what you most want to view, and go from there :).

29 Hours to go!

Paulus17, didn't you have a signature few days ago?

A question open to all 200P owners: What has been your favourite sight through a Skyliner 200P dob?

I did indeed and will update soon again.

My fav thing through the Dob was M13.When that came into focus it just blew me away as they say.Briliant.

I dont have the dob version, sorry, (still a 200p though:)), but recently found and enjoyed the Ring nebula in Lyra, to the left of Vega and a little lower, in between the two small stars, wasn't colourful like the pictures but definitely ring shaped, otherwise globular clusters are favourite at the moment. Also check out Pleiades in the finderscope, better than through the actual OTA!

And a +1 to Jupiter.

Regards

Aenima

Archived