NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

About the 200P

Thank you :)

I also found that if you do a star test to check collimation then you can also check the air currents inside the scope (The star will be wobbly)

Some day I am going to convince my parents that there's a UFO invasion :D

That is exactly how to test for cool down condition (using a medium to high power EP).

So though you have not been able to really test out the scope yet, how's the collimation doing a star test?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it looks OK, then chances are the collimation is good. As long as the light and dark circles are concentric, the condition is good and any further tweeking will not get you any better views. One less thing to worry about :laugh: Until you get to a dark, moonless night site, you won't really appreciate that scope's size. When you finally do, you may need some smelling salts to keep you from fainting :grin:

Its awful here too.

When you get settled with your scope theres nothing stooping you getting a cheap webcam for some casual planetary imaging, its quite easy even without tracking or eqmounts etc. just aim and capture.

Regards

Aenima

Right now I have an afocal set up that I'm going to try first. It works for the sun and moon on my Mercury707 so I can't wait to try it out on the planets!

Anyone have any sketches of things seen through the 200P?

Afocal works surprisingly well, good for quick shots of the moon on a phone or compact digital camera. Also good with those clamps, you probably have one - to attach camera to EP. Unfortunately, you will have trouble with planets afocally as you really need the avi and stacking, as well as the webcam giving high magnification at prime focus - even the cheap xbox livecams for a fiver will capture rings on saturn or belts on jupiter, as really its the stacking that gives the details with planets. But using a digital scope adapter will shoot excellent lunar pics and a few stitched together in a mosaic really shows some fine details there.

As everyone says, you enjoy the 200p - more and more as you get to know it. I wouldnt get rid of mine for anything - except another 200p but with goto added!

Regards

Aenima

I am interested to read this - I have just ordered a GSO 8" to complement my Stellarvue 102ED. I have also ordered a laser collimator. I saw one being used on You tube - looked like the way to go to me.

GSO. Those are meant to be amazing quality wise. :) Sky-watcher arent bad,either, they have the excellent balance of price and quality.

PS laser collimators can be quick n easy though if you have a cheshire you'll want to double check with that as lasers can occasionally be misleading, sometimes they need collimation themselves. how does one collimate a collimator?? but yeah cheshires are cheap and effective.

best of luck with your 8"

Regards

Aenima

ant , that blue tube ? is that a dew shield for the scope ? looks like its got a wired frame or something .

It is a dew shield. It was given to me by paulus17 when he sold me the telescope. It does fit and It does work. When I came back in from my "Failed First Light" there was less dew on the dob than there has been on my refractor. Then again I wasn't out for long.

GSO. Those are meant to be amazing quality wise. :) Sky-watcher arent bad,either, they have the excellent balance of price and quality.

PS laser collimators can be quick n easy though if you have a cheshire you'll want to double check with that as lasers can occasionally be misleading, sometimes they need collimation themselves. how does one collimate a collimator?? but yeah cheshires are cheap and effective.

best of luck with your 8"

Regards

Aenima

I hear what you say about the laser collimator - the one I am ordering can be checked and recollimated if need be. Yes, I like the GSO, quality of things like the focuser are very good, the tube is steel not ally, it has a fan as standard. I have ordered mine from Teleskop-Service in Germany - they have good prices and their delivery charges to mainland Europe can´t be matched by any UK retailer.

I thought that with mine Ant but it don't. I ended up putting a wanted ad in the classifieds on here to get one as I had no luck online. I got off eBay first as the ad stated it was for a Skywatcher scope but it ended up being the wrong one, but an SGL member had one spare. I'm not sure if the dob focuser is the same as mine though.

I think its just for a snug fit, as the 2" hole may not hold the ep in straight or tight causing focus changes or maybe the ep falling out when moving the ota around. The adapter has grub screws that give better grip. Also possibly holding the ep at a better distance (slightly) for focussing different eps.

Regards

Aenima

:)

You ever had something interesting in view and leaned a little too close in your attempts to get a good look and bounced your eyeball on the EP pushing it in a bit so you lose focus?

I have done it far too many times to count!

Aenima

I think its just for a snug fit, as the 2" hole may not hold the ep in straight or tight causing focus changes or maybe the ep falling out when moving the ota around. The adapter has grub screws that give better grip. Also possibly holding the ep at a better distance (slightly) for focussing different eps.

Regards

Aenima

It's actually to achieve focus. Although the focuser itself is 2", the 1.25" adapter adds length, by taking the 1.25" off you shorten the focus tube by an inch or two, so the two inch adapter adds it again.

Archived