Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

About the 200P

I hope so.

If the car isn't repaired (Though it should be) then I'll have to do homework! :homework:

One last question (before I find more to ask) when the Dob is cooling down, does the cap need to be off and is there anyway to prevent bugs getting into the OTA whilst it's cooling?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest i haven't had any probs with bugs in or on the Dob,well not that i've noticed.

I have always put the dew shield on straight away when i set up,and always put the EP,and even the finderscope caps back on when i am having a break,or when talking,just a good habit to get into i think.I am also starting to carry a towel with me to wipe the dob and anything else that gets wet due to dew :grin:

I hope so.

If the car isn't repaired (Though it should be) then I'll have to do homework! :homework:

One last question (before I find more to ask) when the Dob is cooling down, does the cap need to be off and is there anyway to prevent bugs getting into the OTA whilst it's cooling?

The answer is no. If there is a slight breeze, keep the OTA in a horizontal position with the cap(s) off. Warm air will exit the top edge of the OTA while cooler air will enter at the bottom to replace the escaping warmer air. If a breeze is present, point the open end of the OTA at a right angle to the air flow. This also helps cutting cool down time.

When bringing the scope inside for the night, replace the cap(s) to keep indoor dust from from entering the tube. The tube (even if dewed up) will dry out in a short time.

I know you will be wondering if the scope's collimation is OK so BEFORE you adjust anything, look down the empty focuser draw tube and see if all the mirrors are centered . If so, then do a star test with a medium to high power EP (10-6mm). If the "rings" of light and dark are concentric with the focuser racked way out and in, you need no further adjustments. Use the two links below to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Hope you have lots of fun with the scope - the views compared to the Mercury will be astounding if the sky is dark.

FAST NEWT COLLIMATION Scroll down to the collimation procedure page.

STAR TESTING This is a good article to keep in your computer or a print out to refer to while testing.

I've got it! I've got a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P dobsonian!

Thank you very much Paulus17, it will keep me happy for years!

(My mum was a bit shocked at the size when she first saw it but stopped worrying when I showed her that It fits perfectly where I'm keeping it)

When I got back to home the skies were clear but I wasn't allowed to take it outside so I can't give a first light report just yet but when I was having a look at the dob I pointed it at the moon and despite looking through a window, light pollution and clouds the view was still better than in my current scope!

I can't wait to get it outside!

If it's clear tonight then I'll take photo's and align the finder whilst I'm cooling it. When I got home yesterday I was surprised to find it was clear! Unfortunately my parents didn't let me get first light with it that night. :( (Well, I did have a paper round in the morning)

My aunt and uncle have come over today and they were really shocked when they saw the dob! :D

Thanks again Paulus17 and another thanks to nightfisher for directing me to the ad! :icon_salut:

Once I get the scope out there will be a first light report and pictures!

Just thought of a few more questions....

• Could I get some wire mesh and put it over the objective whilst it's cooling to keep bugs out?
  • Which would you buy first? A Cheshire collimator, new EP or a nebula filter?
  • Which direction would you point the scope whilst I'm waiting for the scope to cool/for the dew to evaporate?
  • I was also given (quite unexpectedly) something called a lazy Susan. What is it and what does it do?
  • There are 4 silver screws at the top. What do they do?

Hello Ant - the other one -

Bet you are stoked to get your new scope and there is no doubt you'll love it, that kind of aperture after using the 707? Amazing! It will be a joy to use.

The 1st thing to buy is the cheshire, then Either the ep or a telrad and a copy of free stellarium astro-software, very useful.. Telrads are a great help when hunting for DSO's - ask anyone who has one.:)

Then make a dewshield from a cheap camping mat especially if your in a humid area and intend to stay out long.

If it is possible/practical you could find or build some kind of trolley that will carry the full set-up out from its cover/shelter/garage area on wheels, sound strange but many people use this method for moving heavy dobs in and out of the storage place - depends what space you have or if you have a yard available.

Most of all have fun and never stop asking questions, there is so much to learn!

All the best

Regards

Aenima

Once I get the scope out there will be a first light report and pictures!

Just thought of a few more questions....

• Could I get some wire mesh and put it over the objective whilst it's cooling to keep bugs out?

Dont know if your 200p comes with the aperture end/objective dust cap - as most newts have them and they often have two round bits on the cap, one of these is a smaller cap that comes off. When i'm cooling my scope I just leave the objective dust cover on but take off the smaller removable cap - this will stop anything falling or blowing into the OTA while allowing cooling air in.

Works for me. Sorry if your end cap hasnt got those smaller caps I havent seen the dob version close up.

Regards

Aenima

I just came back in after my first session with the scope and I was disappointed............. by the weather. (Not the 200P!)

There was a thin layer of cloud that scattered light pollution making it seem even worse. I could only see 6 of the 7 stars of the plough and the keystone wasn't visible at all!

and yet the 200P still showed me the ring nebula.

It wasn't as good as the best view I have had through my M707 but considering how terrible the transparency was I was surprised to have found it at all!

The one thing I do miss about my small scope is the slow motion controls on the altitude.

Not my proper first light report though. The best is yet to come.

i was out for an hour too ant .the skies arnt favourable tonight, theres some thin cloud up there mate. the ring nebula was almost non existant for me. so i wouldnt go by tonights views. but at least you got to fling it about as it were.

The silver screws at the top adjust the spider, moving the secondary, and are used to get the secondary central in the tube.

The lazy susan is a bearing that you can put between the two base boards, making the azimuth motion MUCH smoother - so smooth infact, you need to add some teflon/felt pads to add some friction to it. This is by far the best mod i did to mine.

As for keeping bugs out, it isnt much of an issue, but i remove the smaller cap on the end cap, and remove the focuser cap too. I doubt directio makes much difference really, but i guess if there is a breeze, try to funnel it down the scope. I'v always been a bit iffy about leaving the full cap off and pointing up because the second you do, that dew timer starts. Cooling isnt too important for low mag viewing, so i generally do my dso hunting whilst cooling then hit the planets after an hour or so.

Archived