Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally going to pull the trigger

I've read everything I can, I've changed my mind more times than I can count and I've completely melted my head with the sheer volume of brilliant knowledge available here in SGL and so tomorrow, I'm ordering a Skyliner 200p. Time step up from the binos!

Cheers :grin:

cool i have the 200p flextube, i love mine however light pollution is killing it for me at the moment. Hopefully in the Autumn/Winter it should get darker. Saturn was truly awsome a real wow for me. the moon is awsome galaxies are a bit fuzzy for me i need some darker clearer skies i think. im waiting for Jupiter and orion too come back in the winter, should be good. M3 and M5 have also been good for me. Enjoy your new scope, hope it brings some awsome views.

cool i have the 200p flextube, i love mine however light pollution is killing it for me at the moment. Hopefully in the Autumn/Winter it should get darker. Saturn was truly awsome a real wow for me. the moon is awsome galaxies are a bit fuzzy for me i need some darker clearer skies i think. im waiting for Jupiter and orion too come back in the winter, should be good. M3 and M5 have also been good for me. Enjoy your new scope, hope it brings some awsome views.

Cheers:) I'm lucky in that it's pretty dark where I live and a quick drive 5 minutes north gets me into really good drakness.

Nothing quite like the time bending factor of waiting for your new scope to arrive! Brilliant scope. Just beware of the free box of cloud that comes with each new scope, you can leave that box unopened please!

You've made an excellent choice. Prepare for your jaw to hit the ground and your mind to blow as you view the wonders of the universe!

On a semi - serious note be aware that you will see far more than you ever thought you would. Things that look familiar to the naked eye or through binos look very different through one of these. Start off with low power wide angle lens and then when you get your bearings go in bigger. Sometimes the best views start off this way!

Don't forget to post your first light viewings!

if you are lucky enough to have dark skys you won`t be disappointed with your choice, i`ve spent a few hours behind one at a resonable dark sky and it was amazing, i was lucky enough to use it with a panoptic eyepiece and the stars were fantastic to look at, so sharp.

Folks, many thanks for the kind words of welcome! Scope ordered from WEX and will be here tomorrow - happy days :grin: Now i'm need to make my mind up about an SCA and a laser collimator but the ball is rolling, at last. I started looking last January but decided to go for bins to start with. I can't wait to get a rip on this thing.

But using a Cheshire on a longer tube is a bit of a pain, apparently? Spoke to a shop who advised that I can try the laser and If don't like it, I can swap it for a partial refund and a Cheshire so I went ahead and ordered one, along with an SCA. I'll need to check the scope anyway and it'll be a total pain in the rear end if I check the scope, find that it needs collimating and I don't have the kit to do it. I'll remember to v-block the laser first!

I use both, the cheshire is the best alround tool, but thick cross hairs can be an issue when you are trying to squeeze the last bit out (rock your eye either side of the wire to centre it perfectly). The barlowed laser method also helps to rid its accuracy dependance on focuser quality. The cheshire is the more repeatable test, but lasers work in the dark better. The ultimate test is the star but seeing needs to be good and telescope well cooled to be meaningful.

hope your base doesn't arrive damaged like mine did the day before yesterday!! WEX were preety cool about it tho' and it was collected yesterday so now i have the tube but no base till tomorrow or prolly monday:(

just like you i can't wait to get to finally see summat with it!

Agood choice well made sir! i'm glad i decided to get the 200p and not the 150p i saw it as future proofing lol:)

Skip the laser colli and save the cash for some better EPs. I have bought a hotech (regarded as the best laser colli out there) and I get better collimation with a cheshire. A cheshire takes a bit more work to collimate but an 8" holds colli pretty well, unless you bump it into every door frame when carrying it out.

hope your base doesn't arrive damaged like mine did the day before yesterday!! WEX were preety cool about it tho' and it was collected yesterday so now i have the tube but no base till tomorrow or prolly monday:(

just like you i can't wait to get to finally see summat with it!

Agood choice well made sir! i'm glad i decided to get the 200p and not the 150p i saw it as future proofing lol:)

Cheers but thats a bummer that your base was knackered - must have been a real kick in the stones! I went for the 200 for the extra WOW:)

I'll see how I get on with the laser but I'll probably get the Cheshire as well. It'll wait though till I get the spons up for it and a couple EP's as well. Here's hoping that the Skyliner arrives safe and well and that the clouds sod off.

Good choice (methinks) Having bought the 130P as a start, then being completely wowed by what that showed me, being where I am now and knowing where I want to be in the future, If I had my time again, I would start with the 200 Dob.

You will not be disappointed!

Enjoy

Rick

Well, it arrived from WEX 100% sound - great service from them... 24hr shipping to NI for 4.95!!! Got it put together, no trouble at all. I left the cloud box unopened but someone else must've opened one because there's a great big blanket of the stuff up there, lol. It's a waiting game now...

Archived